Sonus Faber Stradivari amp: X600.5 or X1000.5 ?

Hello,

I want to know which power amp is better for my new speakers (Sonus Faber Stradivari) combined with ARC REF3. Ive just listened a few days ago the X350.5 and i loved it so much. Right now i have a pair of MC-501 but i'm a little dissapointed of them when i try to listen to some complex music like rock and others. Is X1000.5 a good choice for it or X600.5? The X1000.5 have 2000 wats in 4ohms?
Anyone listened to both of them. Let me know.

Thanks.
johnb30

Showing 6 responses by peterayer

Check the specs of the Pass amps. I think the X350.5 has about the same current as the XA100.5. The XA100.5 also has more class A watts and doubles output as impedance is halved, so 200 watts at 4 ohms. I would stretch for the biggest XA.5 you can afford, BUT your Strads are pretty efficient, though I don't know the impedance, so the XA100.5 should be plenty. Of course, you should listen to be sure.
Johnb30,
I asked Kent at Pass about the XA100.5 versus the X350.5 driving a difficult load. He told me that in listening tests, the panel preferred the XA.5 and mentioned sonics but also its ability to control low frequencies and low impedances speakers. My speakers are a 4 ohm load and only 86dB efficient, so I switched from the XA100.5 to the XA160.5. With your speakers, you should have no trouble with either, IMO. I suggest you talk to Pass Labs and then demo a pair from RENO HIFI or a local dealer to be sure before you buy.
Johnb30,

Congratulations on your new amps. I also own a pair. Mine are demos that were used about one month before I got them. I left them on 24/7 and playing music during the day for about a week. I did not notice a big change during that time. Perhaps a very slight increase in smoothness soundstage expansion and instrument air and separation.

Unlike Rtn1 though, I do notice a difference listening to music just out of stand-by mode to about an hour later (three LP sides). Now it might also be the cartridge suspension warming up a bit also. The sound becomes smoother with a bit of an increase in inner detail and harmonics. I just becomes a bit more involving. I often turn my amps on about 2-3 hours before I listen and then I'm pretty sure any improvement during the first hour is from the cartridge. I dare say it is similar to what I hear when I switch from CD to LP (sorry, couldn't resist).
I've had my XA160.5's for about a year and I think they have about 900 hours on them. As I wrote earlier, I did not notice a big change during the first few months. "Perhaps a very slight increase in smoothness, soundstage expansion and instrument air and separation." Mine were demos, so they already had some time on them. I did not feel that "boom of performance."

My amps just sounded great from when I first got them and they are a better match for my speakers than were my old XA100.5's, which are also great, just not as powerful.
Knghifi,
That was funny. You are right that a better DAC would improve things a bit. But you stating that "perhaps I NEED a better DAC...." is a presumption on your part. "NEED" is way too strong a word. I'm an analog guy, so even "WANT" may be too strong. I would certainly accept a gift of a better one, though :^)