Sonus Faber Homage Tradition - New 2017 Line

I went in to audition some Sopra 2's tonight and demo'd them against some of the older Sonus Fabers like Olympica III's and the Cremonese (which just happened to be in the room, way out of my budget).  I much preferred the Sopra 2's to the Olympicas which sounded quite veiled and soft in comparison.  The Cremonese had better, more natural bass than the Sopras and threw a bigger 3D soundstage, but it too had the softer, laid back presentation and recessed/reticent vocals that tend to drive me nuts after a while.  I enjoy a dead flat midrange and it turns out i'm picky about it.  The Sopras were hanging in there with these $40k speakers simply because I preferred their tonal balance and vocal placement.

Then, at the end of the night the dealer said why don't we give the new Sonus Faber Homage Tradition Guarneri standmounts a try?

Oh my sweet mother of god.

GONE are the recessed vocals.  GONE is any hint of syrupy overly-warm sound other than how ridiculously smooth these new speakers are.

What is left was a huge and deep 3D soundstage, with perfect tonal balance.  This was far and away the best midrange and treble performance of the night.  The vocals placed perfectly on the stage, with unbelievable tone, clarity, resolution, and all with an uncanny smoothness.  Zero harshness in the treble with the perfect amount of air. They sounded so natural and open. They also play surprisingly deep, but like almost any standmount you are left wishing for that bottom octave which is covered by the Amati and Serafino.

Enough rambling and forget about any old Sonus Faber stereotypes:  these things are special.
emcdade

Showing 2 responses by contuzzi

Interesting post, but you are all over the place price wise.  A $15,000 pair of stand mounts vs a $14,000 Sopra 2 floorstander.  It's too bad the dealer didn't have the Diablo Utopias, which would have been a little more fair.  Either way, you got me itching to hear the new Homage Tradition Guarneri (even though I find the name kinda pretentious and don't love the look).  

:)
My point was, that the matching Sopra bookshelf to the Sonus Faber is only $8,000.  You're comparing a lower end Focal to a higher end Sonus Faber.