Sonus Faber Guarneri with SET amplifier -possible?

Hello,
is there any chance to drive new Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento with SET amplifier?

I think about something like Jadis SE300B.
It is 10 W per channel amplifier with two parallel 300B triodes at the output and oversized transformers.
It sound much more powerful than claimed 10 Watts.

I don’t like to listen very loud, don’t like to much of deep bass and have 2200 cu ft room (20’ x 15’).

The amp itself sound fabulous and I would like to get SF the best midrange possible.

Any ideas?
milimetr

Showing 1 response by jj2468

Hi. I owned the Guarneri for several years. IMHO you will get beautiful timbre with an SET with a large power supply, but transient speed and bass will be slow. If you want to give it a go, you will need an SET with a big power supply.

I found good results with a pair of Berning zh-270 monoblocs and a pair of Art Audio Quartets. I feel those have the minimum power for the Guarneri. You may want to consider a push pull design with zero or very low feedback. Some members feel the Guarneri really needs a good solid state amp with more than 200 watts to obtain fast transients. I generally don't lean toward the solid state sound, but I wanted to share their perspective. A compromise may be something like a kt90 100+ watt push pull amp with lots of current.

In summary, I think a good SET will sound beautiful, but slow. A powerful solid state will sound fast, but lose some of the harmonic beauty of that speaker. So, I'd look for a 100+ watt push pull with low or no feedback and a big power supply. Good luck. Jeff