Song covers that are better than the originals

I was listening to Billy Idol's cover of LA Woman, and I thought to myself that his version is way better than the original. So I thought I'd post a few covers that I enjoy more than the originals and see what others can add. My top five in no particular order:

LA Woman - Billy Idol
Just a Gigolo - David Lee Roth
Feelin Alright - Joe Cocker
Roll Over Beethoven - The Beatles
MacArthur Park - Donna Summer
daveburton

Showing 4 responses by cd318

Interesting choices but I hope you don't mind if I can't agree with your suggestions of that certified Doors classic, LA Woman, nor for that matter Richard Harris' novel-like MacArthur Park.

I almost always prefer the earlier version, sometimes the original is lost in the mists of time. But I can think of at least 3 Blondie covers which surpass previous versions. I'd edge Denis over Randy and the Rainbows' Denise, whilst Hanging on the Telephone (orig the Nerves) and the Tide is High (Paragons) were clearly better.

Chris Farlowe's soulful Out of Time clearly beats the Stones version for me. 

Difficult to think of any Beatles song covered by anyone which surpasses the original, nor for that matter any Dylan song. I prefer his version of Mr Tambourine Man to that truncated version by the Byrds. The only clear improvement of a Dylan song for me is probably Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower.

Led Zep definitely improved quite a few old songs with their own versions but it's probably best to not go there.
I confess to preferring William Shatner’s 2004 version of Common People to the original from 1995 by Pulp.

Both versions are great but Shatner’s is a shocker. As Cocker himself said in 2011,

"I was very flattered by that because I was a massive Star Trek fan as a kid and so you know, Captain Kirk is singing my song! So that was amazing."
'I Stand Accused' by the Merseybeats (1965) is, on my opinion, better than either Tony Colton's original or Elvis Costello and the Attractions' later 1980 rendition.

Merseybeats  I Stand Accused

https://youtu.be/w7fwue0L98s