Son et Image 2011 - Montreal

Hello anyone else attend the show?

i have been to the show 5 or 6 times and this was my 2nd time at this hotel. i went down from ottawa on the train with a few friends on friday and we stayed for the day. it was more enjoyable in the early going before the rooms got very busy

we started in the big Wilson room. it was way too loud and the bass was booming over everything. probably due to the room and set up but it wasn't the best start. thankfully we only went into a few rooms that were disappointing. i didn't like the audio note room at all. it sounded like i was listening through cupped hands.

the mbl room was super expensive of course and imaged like nothing else. but when we were there the bass seemed to be moving our pant legs. i know acoustic bass (which is what was playing) doesn't sound anything like that. i will leave that to the room being small. this show like many shows seems to often have earth moving bass and is the thing most people seem to comment on that they enjoy when i talk to them. at the shows.

i really enjoyed the Clarity room even though the YG Acoustics driven with Jones Audio gear also had bass that was too pronounced. the sales person there was great. we enjoyed talking to him and ended up listening to all 3 systems including: the Eggleston Speakers with Chapter Audio gear and to the Nola Speakers with Mimetism amps. All in all I liked the Nola best.

my favorite room by far was the L'Atellier room. The Ocellia speakers with the Verdier turntable and 12" arm was sublime. really beautiful sounding and the only room i went to visit twice.

i also enjoyed the Gemme audio room and the Nagra room. i wanted to listen to the Harbeth but that room was jammed as was the Leben/Gibbon room. in the past they were also in my best of show group. from talking to other people i heard they were great again.

and i liked the Cabasse/Mac room. really expensive but it sounded like music which isn't always the case at an audio show.
mcrosier

Showing 1 response by roccl007

From my personal appreciation or taste:
1-FILTRONIQUE room with BOULDER and DCS and SONUS FABER FUTURA, sound with finesse and ball's
2- AUDIO ARTS room with VOXATIV speakers driven with a 5 WPC amp, best imaging with the speakers who disappear
3- MBL room with powerful sound which make the light goes down at each bass impact
4- CABASSE speakers with MC INTOSH amp and cd player good integration and match with a SUB
5- CHAPTER gear (near tubes or class "A" sound) with the the fabulous Eggleston Andra III speakers

So good luck for TORONTO for your first next big one with the help of MICHEL LEROUX (pioneer since 1984)