Something wrong with the Studio 100 v.2?

Through many listening secessions over the last 5 months, I've tried very hard to love the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v.2. But the sound I heard did not align with much of the articulate and glowing praise found here on Audiogon. Nonetheless, I was determined to buy a used pair here on Audiogon, but couldn't find a realistic deal (shipping is usually a killer). You may be wondering why would I buy 100’s if the sound were unsatisfactory? Simply, I'm unwilling to spend the money required to buy a full-range speaker like the Natilus 804 or Proac 2.5, both of which I've listened to extensively and like very much. Also, I have a 6-month-old daughter and don't want to be paranoid about her banging into $3500-$4500 speakers when she begins to walk about.

So I went back to the dealer yesterday determined to buy a new pair of 100 v.2. But after listening to a variety of material for about an hour, I was again disappointed. What I heard was booming, bloated, poorly controlled bass and a compressed sound stage (front-to-back). And after about 45 minutes, serious listener fatigue crept in as well!

Here's my question: Is something wrong with my dealer's setup? If not, am I being totally unrealistic in my expectations of the 100's? What am I missing here? Are my ears broken? Help!

Here's the dealer's current setup: Denon DVD-3800 (also used Sony 9000ES), Anthem AVM 20 v2.08, Anthem MCA 50, Audioquest Coral or Anaconda (couldn't quite see), unknown speaker cables.
horn_blower

Showing 3 responses by mdomnick

The 100s take a lot of power to sound good, and in your dealer's set up the amp should have enough juice for them. I also think the pre amp is a fine one, and wire is satisfatory. Therefore I only have 3 conclusions: 1) the room set up is poor 2) the pre/pro is not configured for the room/speakers 3) you do not like the sound of the 100s. Only suggestions I can offer are ask the dealer to calibrate the pre/pro or take a pair home and try them in your own surroundings which is really the only way to tell if gear will work for you.

Good luck.
Horn...you should also demo Monitor Audio speakers. I have heard very good things about them. Pretty wide price range as well.

http://www.monitoraudio.com/
Funny...I like the 9s better than the 11s 7 years ago when I first bought Paradigm. Prefer the better mids now a days with the 100s and a hybrid amp and tube pre.