Something other than Harbeth SHL5

Don't get me wrong. I love my Harbeths, but they're all I've owned for a long time and it was Spendor before that. I've got the itch to try something new.

Budget around $8000 new.

Room size is 14.5 feet x 25 feet. Listening "area" is in one half the room.
Amplifier is Audio Hungary Qualiton A5i. Tube amp, 50 wpc
Primary source is FLAC and DSD files to PSAudio DirectStream Dac
Subwoofer is MJ Acoustics Reference 100 set at a roll-off of 34 Hz.

My musical tastes are classical, large-scale choral works, symphonies, along with solo piano, also organ (rumbling the floor). Some jazz, female voices, and a little opera, again female voices. I love good imaging, life-like sound, large soundstage, and the disappearance of the speakers. I like the feeling of being there, without going deaf. I feel like I have to play the SHL5s loud to make them come alive.  I'm very sensitive to upper frequencies going too harsh/bright.

I auditioned Audio Note AN-J in a studio and they blew me away in the way that they disappeared.  Detail, and soundstage were magnificent. However, I thought I heard a little graininess is the mid-range at one point.

I've also read a lot of reviews and did hear some samples on YouTube (I know, I know) of Audio Solutions Figaro M, and they did sound magical. They're simply not available in South Florida, so I will not be able to audition them. But there is definitely something going on with those speakers.

Has anyone heard all 3 or two out of 3 to give me some opinions? Thank you!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmikedc

You might take a look at the Wilson-Benesch P 1.0. If you scroll down on the page you will see a cut away of the new tweeter which has evolved from previous designs and completely built in house...They make some fine speakers. 

As mentioned above a couple of times, the Joseph Pulsar could be a potential option if you would be ok with a stand mount (and they for sure do not sound like a speaker in a shoebox).

Another potential option you might want to check out is the new Revival Atalante 5.  It's quite good....

THE RESULTS ARE IN.

I auditioned as much as I could find and at least did research on every option suggested.  Although you can't tell much from it, I did try to listen to samples on YouTube (with headphones).  There definitely is a noticeable upgrade is SQ when you hit the $10,000 mark.

In the end, it turned out to be a combination of what I liked and what was in my price range.  I selected a 2-year old pair of Audio Solutions Figaro M floorstanding speakers.

Very pleased with my choice and with the folks at Audio Solutions!  The dealer who sold them to me is not an Audio Solutions Dealer so he really did not know the speakers well.  They really do make a recording feel like you are there.  They are crystal clear, never too bright, with a very wide soundstage and nice 3D imaging.  It was not inconsequential that I own the same amplifier that Audio Solutions uses in testing these speakers.  

Thanks to all who responded with such wonderful suggestions.  

Mike

Congratulations. I took a quick look at a couple reviews, they sound like great speakers. Tell us more when you have had them for a couple months.