Something just isn't there

I'm hoping some of you with experience can help me evaluate my system. It is, of course, hard to put words on sonic character but sometimes it just isn't there. My system is quite detailed and can have a very nice soundstage but rarely does it grab me. 

The system:Magnum Dynalab MD209 hybrid tube/SS amp,
Manley Chinook tube phono preamp,
Oracle Alexandria factory refurbished,
Oracle Prelude tonearm
Ortophon MC 20 super cart
Joseph Audio RM22si speakers
Audioquest Caldera speaker wire. 

As I have been upgrading the system, I'm left thinking that either speakers or room treatment need attention next.
My room is approximately 12x25with hardwood floor, hard surfaces including art and wooden furniture, two big sofas, and several doorways and windows.   My wife won't take kindly to funky acoustic treatments.Of course the speakers and cartridge are just plain old.  I find auditioning speakers daunting and worry that the showroom experience will not be representative of my home and my electronics. 
Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Kevin

128x128lobsterotter
Thank you to everyone for these ideas. 

Specifically to Ghosthouse. I've had the speakers for about 18 years.  Last year wIth my son's new interest in vinyl (age 20-a late bloomer), I decided to upgrade electronics, get my turntable spinning, and pay attention. After spending more than 6k I was hoping for more presence and wow.  

Certainly, I have a lively room and I wouldn't call the sound boring. Rather it is lacking in full cohesion.  The amp is very dynamic and seems to have vats of reserve power.  I've never heard a bit of amp fatigue.  A plug for Magnum Dynalab, the tuner is also incredible.  ICs are Audioquest Diamondback for the phono. 

Typically the speakers live 18 inches out. Just now, 40 inches from the wall has made a huge difference but still with full orchestra ( Beethoven 3rd) it blares a bit. Seems like my room may be talking to me....as Erik suggests I seem to be getting more direct and less reflected sound with the speakers out.

As for the sub, it is certainly a muddy mess. Paradigm. Brought up from the basement low end "theater" system.  I keep it turned down. Fortunately my floors are solid old oak but that doesn't mean they aren't resonating.

I will look into acoustic panels that can appear when the boys and the bourbon come out.

Auxinput,
Stock AC cords. Don't think I'm ready to go there.... ;)
I did put in a dedicated circuit for it though. Stock Home Depot stuff. Cheap!

+1 Mapman I would also recheck your turntable setup if possible, I would lower your crossover point at the subwoofer, bass may be coming into the midrange a very common problem. Best of Luck and enjoy the Holidays
+1 needfreestuff on the turntable setup.  Check your arm and VTA, if it is too high in the back you will get a brighter sound, too low and you get the opposite.  Make sure it is level while on a record.  Can make a big difference.

I have heard the GIK panels and I think they do a pretty good job.  The fabric on the panels can be printed with whatever you want so they are relatively easy to work into the décor.  But, even such modest treatment may not be necessary.  I've heard terrific sounding rooms that were treated with nothing more than decorative tapestries on the wall.  It really does not take much to improve the room.  A rug between the position of the speaker and your listening chair would help a lot; hardwood floors act as a giant sound reflector; the ceiling also acts in the same way which means that a lot of sound is bouncing back and forth between those two surfaces. 

The most important thing is to find the right placement of your speakers and your listening position.  This can take quite a bit of trial and error.  Even a movement of a couple of inches can make a big difference.

I get a lot of that "something missing" impression with a lot of equipment these days--the sound is cold, bloodless and lifeless (makes one push the volume up high to compensate).  I would suggest going to different dealers or regional audio shows to at least get a general impression of the type of sound you want to pursue.  That would include listening to brands whose sound is outside of mainstream sound, such as Audio Note and Devore (richer, meatier sound), or different way of reproducing sound (planars, like Magnepan). 

Good luck on your search.