Some Thoughts on Axpona 2019--from an Axpona Newbie

Lifelong music lover and player here.  I went to my first Axpona this weekend.  I wanted to share a few things to see what others think. 

1.  One day is not enough.  I had a buddy and a game plan.  There still was way too much to do and see to get it done in a day!

2.  Meeting certain manufacturers, engineers, designers, reviewers who are essentially "famous" in my hifi mind was super cool.    

3.  There were some expensive rooms (I'm defining that as systems with pieces of kit north of $25,000 piece and overall $75,000 and above for the system) that weren't all that great.  In some of those rooms I thought that if I had that money to spend I'd buy lesser priced gear because it sounded better to me. 

4.  Speaking of budget gear, the Elac room (bookshelf speakers) and the Wharfedale room (Linton speakers) sounded so great--notwithstanding their small price tags. 

5.  My favorite "big money" room was the VTL/Stenheim Alumine Five loudspeakers room.  The sound here was spellbinding.  

6.  Many folks running the systems were pushing the loudspeakers too hard.   In my humble opinion, they needed to back down the volume as things could start to sound harsh.  

7.  I loved meeting Clinton and hearing Spatial Audio speakers in person.

8.  My personal favorite for near $10k in loudspeakers was Volti Rivals.  

I'm definitely going to be doing this again next year!
128x128jbhiller

Showing 2 responses by mapman

The thing with shows is there are may large expensive systems that would probably best demonstrate unique value set up well in a larger room where more is needed but most rooms are smaller scale where size and often associated cost matters less. Good sound need not be expensive to produce these days but doing it on a larger scale will tend to cost more.   Need it cost as much as many setups at these shows?  No.   But it is always interesting to hear what should be the creme of the creme is capable of in person.
Stereophile has quite an extensive set of articles covering that show online.

Seems like it was quite big!

Unfortunately, my big tax decrease never developed this year, in fact local taxes will be going up, and I have kids still going to college so even if I wanted to try to fit some of that very nice large expensive gear in my house, it ain’t happening. Will have to stand pat. Will probably want to downsize even more over time. Lot’s of good sounding, practical stuff out there these days though for sure.