Some Stereo Speakers Appropriate to my Setup and Around $500 or Less (if possible)

Hi.  First post here.  Looks like a good forum.

First, my system:

Denon AVR-1912
Oppo BDP-93

The "home theater" is in a small living room, wood floor with an area rug, plaster walls, the usual furniture: chair, couch, etc.

I've had a cheap Infinity 5.1 speaker set for 10 years or more and they are finally burning out.

My plan is to start with a pair of stereo speakers, as in the old days, for the purposes of listening to music.  Genres are all along the spectrum -- mainly rock, folk rock, singer-songwriter, blues, but also classical and jazz, though not much hip-hop.  Can't say speaker selection would be based on a specific genre.  I want a good, solid, fairly clean pair of stereo speakers for music, but with the option of adding on satellites at a later date for movies that make use of 5.1 and also audio CDs that are mixed for 5.1.  

Is this possible?  Any recommendations for a "decent" pair of stereo speakers for around $500 that would work with my system and room?

Thanks!

Paul Spillenger

spillenger

Showing 1 response by elevick

If your plan is to go to 5.1 eventually, you really should only look at speakers where there is a matching center.  Getting them voiced properly across the front makes a huge difference.