Some Stereo Speakers Appropriate to my Setup and Around $500 or Less (if possible)

Hi.  First post here.  Looks like a good forum.

First, my system:

Denon AVR-1912
Oppo BDP-93

The "home theater" is in a small living room, wood floor with an area rug, plaster walls, the usual furniture: chair, couch, etc.

I've had a cheap Infinity 5.1 speaker set for 10 years or more and they are finally burning out.

My plan is to start with a pair of stereo speakers, as in the old days, for the purposes of listening to music.  Genres are all along the spectrum -- mainly rock, folk rock, singer-songwriter, blues, but also classical and jazz, though not much hip-hop.  Can't say speaker selection would be based on a specific genre.  I want a good, solid, fairly clean pair of stereo speakers for music, but with the option of adding on satellites at a later date for movies that make use of 5.1 and also audio CDs that are mixed for 5.1.  

Is this possible?  Any recommendations for a "decent" pair of stereo speakers for around $500 that would work with my system and room?

Thanks!

Paul Spillenger

spillenger

Showing 1 response by 2psyop

Cedargrover gives good advice on the ELACS. Also the advice on the Vandersteen speakers is great too. I have the 2CE Sig II and they are very, very good for the price point. A good way to go about this is to follow a very good speaker designer/engineer like Richard Vandersteen, Andrew Jones or Kevin Voecks. These guys know what is important with regard to getting great sound from a speaker.

Also don't discount small speakers (standmount). Some of these smaller speakers give really great sound, maybe not the last bit of bass, but can provide tonal balance. Many sound great with lower powered receivers.