some of the best speaker cables under $250

I have owned many many cables over the years but with my current setup I am focusing on a different approach as far as cables are concerned. Impressed with a recently purchased pair of Morrow Audio MA2 RCA cables I feel that there are some great bang for the buck cables available and rather than start with what I've owned and liked in the past I want to try some of the strong contenders in the 'budget' range. Above all else I want musical not dry. I want to hear as much as possible into the music without it becoming clinical. Nothing new, I know.
I'm leaning toward Morrow cables but there seem to be so many cable makers out there I'm interested in what might not be on my radar.
I've owned Signal, Mapleshade, Crimson, LFD, Harmonic Tech, WLM DIY(in use) to name a few. My short list so far: Cullen, thegreencable, Morrow.
My current system consists of an LFD integrated, Tekton LORE Reference loudspeakers, Musical Paradise DAC/OPPO transport.
Thanks-
nrthomas2

Showing 5 responses by melbguy1

@Mental, I started out with a pretty humble system being a compact Nad lifestyle system & pair of Infinity Reference 3 speakers. I think I was using Monster cable back then connected with bare wire the old-school way. Now I own a system worth upward of $150k. Along the way i've owned several other systems, and could not fully appreciate what I have now without having done the hard yards. Ridiculous? Maybe to some..
Mental, it's all good. My last comment was a referance to Devilboy's deadpan remark. We all think the grass is greener on the other side. The most satisfying thing in this hobby is learning what sounds good to your ears and why. And if you can achieve that sound on a modest budget, all the better. Then you can just get on with enjoying the music which is what it should all be about. But if you are heavily invested in high end gear (aka: bling), there is always a degree of self-consciousness about the fact it is expensive high end gear. At times, you feel a silly need to talk up your gear to perhaps make yourself feel better about your investment, or deflect criticism. Maybe that is just a bit of insecurity/anxiety about the level of coin you've put into your system? But once you've gone a long way down the road toward achieving your audio goals, there is no doubt how satisfying it is to hear glorious music at the end of the day. But part of me would be happy to live with the first full range system I had back in 1991 and keep it simple and relatively modest. With that said, there is no going back for me!
02-12-15: Devilboy
@ Audiolabyrinth: Thank you. How someone can have the gall to tell you that you won't be able to tell differences in making tweaks in your system, a system he's never heard before, is beyond me. Also, setting a price point to determine the worthiness of a tweak is, like I said earlier, ridiculous. Speaking of which, I'm still trying to make heads or tails of Melbguy1's statement about my "deadpan" remark. ???????
I've been in this game far too long and spent far too much money for comments from those listed above to go unrebuked.
Hey, if people feel they must spend exorbitant amounts of money on equipment (or anything else for that matter), as the only means to achieve great results, then I say LET THEM.
I've been to someone's house a few times whose system retails for around 300K. Every time I've been there, I kept thinking I couldn't wait to get home to listen to my system. While his system did a few things very well, it was too "hifi" and not as natural and organic sounding as my own. Now, this is all according to MY ears of course, but Audiolabyrinth that's all that matters.....your own ears.
Devilboy, why are you so insecure? I descibed your comment "Yeah Mental, ridiculous statement." as deadpan because it was an unqualified remark. You can say I have a "gall" or am "ridiculous". That just sounds like histrionics to me.

Secondly, show me where I said you have to spend "exorbitant amounts of money on equipment (or anything else for that matter), as the only means to achieve great results"?? You can't, can you?

Finally, how can you conclude from hearing one ultra high end system that ALL ultra high end systems are amusical? I think you need to get out and listen to some more systems for your rush to judgment. Fyi, "natural and organic" is what I am for in my system...
02-13-15: Audiolabyrinth
Thankyou devilboy for the kind word's,btW, The person who told that comment to me is the same person who said, dead pan remark to you,and I agree, my ear's is all that matters, however, given your description of the sound of your system, we have the same tast, natural, organic,= win's!
No Keith, you quoted Devilboy's comment criticizing Mental's earlier post. Then when Devilboy later criticized and berated me, you decided to jump in with your opportunistic 'me too' comment above. I don't appreciate being used as your punching bag to brown nose other members.