Solid State to replace Audio Research REF110?

Hello,

My power amp REF110 blew resistors and damage PCB (it is the second time), in the pass my VT100 MKIII also damage the PCB had to replace it.
I like REF110 sound but I think I should move to a more reliable solid state power amp.

Which power amplifier do you recommend to substitute Audio Research REF110 without have to regret every day?

Many thanks for the advice.
jglpubli

Showing 7 responses by mikewerner

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had not ever had any problems with any of my Audio Research gear - power amps included.
Also, AR has excellent customer service!
-
I traded my Ref 110 for a Pass Labs XA60.5
Then, because I wanted more power, a X350.5.
I am very pleased with this swap.
Now I have no worries about tubes and save a lot of headaches, time, and money.
-
-
Yeah, I have a BMW motorcar.
I'm glad that the service department never answers their calls.
Who needs them, anyway?
My car runs GREAT!
I have never heard such nonsense as from salectric.
-
Yeah, I have a BMW motorcar. I'm glad that the service department never answers their calls.
Who needs them, anyway?
My car runs GREAT!
I have never heard such nonsense as from kevinkwan
-
Djcxx, that was my experience also.
Tubes are a hassle!
They sound good, but I'm now happy with solid state now and have not looked back.
-
Hi,
I also replaced my Ref 3 pre with a Pass Labs XP-20 and am pleased with the results.
If you can find a SS design that sounds as good as tubes, why use tubes?
Of course, the debate will be IF!
Mike
Hi
I had a Ref 3 and Ref 110.
I got tired of replacing tubes. My equipment is on a lot.
The Pass Labs X350.5 has control. It doesn't stress or strain even with large scale orchestral works. This into 87dB speakers.
The XA60.5 was just not holding together on the big stuff when played loudly.
I frequently am not in the room with the speakers when listening.
That said, if you like to listen quietly and are a spacial junkie, some say the XA60.5's do that better, though it didn't seem much of a difference to me.
On the ARC gear, I still think as neutral as some claim it to be, there was still some colorations that I do not find present with the Pass Labs gear.
So, I am happy with the solid state gear sonically and do not have to replace tubes!
Plus, if you have never heard a BIG solid state amp, you should.
Power is not the limiting issue, and that says a lot about the sonics especially at higher volumes.