Solid State Preamp recommendation for $2500?

Hi,

I am looking for some Solid State preamp recommendations. My budget is up to $2500, new or used, perhaps could be stretched to $3000 for something really special. I have fairly neutral, easygoing equipment (upgraded McCormack amp and Tyler Acoustics speakers) and like to listen to all kinds of music, but primarily jazz, classical, electronic, and some rock.

Due to changing circumstances in my system (or rather discoveries) I have pretty much determined that a solid state preamp is the only thing that will work in my system. I have an amp and speaker combo that puts out some serious white noise from tube preamps (I have tried 4 so far, all with the same results, and all preamps were OK in other systems). I have tried 2 solid state preamps, both were dead quiet. So, it is either get rid of the amp, or get a solid-state preamp. As my amplifier is a McCormack DNA-125 rev Gold, I would take a serious hit if I were to sell it, and it sounds pretty darn good. I am guessing I would have to spend alot more than the $2200 I have into it to get comparable performance. Unfortunately, I love tube preamps, but am totally fed up with background hiss that is audible at 15 feet and muddies the music.

I did hear a Classe CP-700 recently that sounded wonderful, but it overshoots my budget, and I can't help but think I am paying for features that I don't need, like the cool but (for me) useless interface). I just want a nice 2-channel preamp, old-school/no remote is fine.
dawgcatching

Showing 1 response by musical_sounds

Hello: If you love tube preamps then I would strongly suggest you try the NAT Audio "Plasma R" model which you may be able to afford in your budget. Guaranteed you won’t find ANY background noise. If alternatively, you prefer the solid state route then I can whole heartedly recommend the Audia Flight preamp currently being sold used or the ACCUSTIC ARTS. But, don’t give up on tubes just yet. If the design is well executed then there should be equally black backgrounds and total dead silence even if you place your ears next to the tweeters at moderate volume.