Solid state or Tubes preamp phono stage.

Need some help deciding which preamplifier to purchase. I am looking at hagerman audio trumpet and I have a great offer to buy musical fidelity m6x vinyl that is the same price of the hagerman trumpet.

bigmac1963

Another suggestion for your consideration would be the Wavestream Kinetics Deluxe Reference Level 5.1.

It is an all tube design currently using (2 x 12AX7, 4 x 6DJ8); with extremely low noise ( I believe with the external power supply, noise is below 1uV (one-millionth of a volt ) competing with the best of the solid state phonos; providing 3 front panel selectable inputs providing 62 dB of gain (without the use of SUT’s or FETS) with a useful cartridge range of 0.2mV to 1mV. Having both Balanced and RCA inputs and outputs; adjustable loading available on the back panel via custom loading plugs; and an essentially flat RIAA EQ curve within one tenth of a dB (.1dB) from 3 Hz to 40 Khz.

Naturally, with any tubed phono high gain phono stage you will want to use selected low noise tubes, but I can say when using my NOS Mullards in this phono stage, it is dead quiet with my ears up against the speakers with my Dunlavy Signature SCIV's 91 dB sensitivity.

I love not having to use a step up transformer with this phono stage; not having to worry about the SUT coloring the audio signal, worrying about possible hum issues, and having to use extra interconnects and connections, etc.  

The Wavestream Kinetics gives me the pure, high gain, low noise sound that I love. It is incredibly dynamic in both the micro and macro sense, has the "meat on the bones" which many crave, brings the human voice to life, showcases the resonance of the body of cellos and acoustic bass, has the finesse for brushes on cymbals, etc. The music sounds pure and organic.  It is not syrupy or tubby or loose in the bass.  It truly is an incredible phono stage built by Scott Frankland who offers incredible customer service and support, which is the icing on the cake.

Best wishes,
Don

I am using a EAT e-glo petite It is great sounding and has multiple gain settings as well as multiple load settings You can purchase from dealers that offer trial and return if not happy I kept mine

First, I would like to thank everyone for the positive comments regarding my Trumpet MC.  It's a design I am very proud of, being able to reduce the cost of a world-class differential tube phono circuit design down to a price regular folk can afford.  

As for tubes, I find the X7 tend to focus on tonality (plus noise and microphonics in the first stage), whereas the U7 delivers dynamics, weight, and body to the music.

The 5814 may work ok in the U7 spot, even with the slightly increased heater demand, but not a 12BH7.