Solid copper or stranded copper for speaker cables? What is your choice and why?

I had old copper speaker cable made by Audioquest (don't know the model).  The cable contains only two solid copper wires, one is thicker than the other. As I recalled, Audioquest claimed back then that thicker wire primarily carries lower frequency signal and the thinner wire is responsible for the rest.  I actually have not seen this type of design nowadays, BUT when listening and comparing it with the stranded wire (either 12 or 10 gauge) cable, I found the dynamic range is greater, and the bass is tighter and has more weight.  What do you think?

lanx0003

@elliottbnewcombjr 

My speakers are also low’ish efficiency that I drive with big power amps so my HT speaker cables are bi-wired Pro9’s with two full runs/side or 6awg to each speaker.

How did your friend’s cables sound?  I suspect pretty good.  I have long suspected the advantage of stuff like OCC copper for speaker cables is virtually non-existent so the copper in CAT8 should be plenty good.  The Monoprice CAT8 source uses polyethylene insulation, which is also good but maybe topped by a foamed insulation product like in the HT cables, although I doubt that benefit is clearly audible either.

I get a kick out of the cable types and gauges we use, especially when I read charts in vintage manuals:

McIntosh's Chart for AWG/distances, (lampcord suggested).

pg 5 or 6 here

McIntosh-MC2205-Owners-Manual.pdf

formula: do not exceed 5% resistance of speaker's impedance

examples:

16 awg: 4 ohm: max: 25'; 8 ohm: max 50'

12 awg: 4 ohm: max 60'; 8 ohm: max 120'.

calculator:

https://www.wirebarn.com/Combined-Wire-Gauge-Calculator_ep_42.html

My single run of Cat 8: 8 strands of 22 awg is equal to 13 awg

so I'm using 13 awg for 12' run, 16 0hm speakers.

McIntosh chart says 13 awg is good for 100' 8 ohm; 200' for my 16 ohm speakers!