Soliciting Upgrade Advice

I’ve been reading numerous threads on this forum in an attempt to isolate what would generally be regarded as the “best” pair of speakers in the 5K range. I understand that “best” in this context can be both subjective and objective. I listen to two channel only. While my primary musical preference is Grateful Dead, on occasion I’ve been known to throw on Mozart.

I currently have JBL S412P speakers and recently bought an M6si amp. Now before you guys trash the speakers (because I realize it may be a stretch to even consider them audiophile grade), I can tell you I’ve listened to quite a few speakers in my day, including the relatively new to market Golden Ear Triton One’s, and I still feel the 412s hold their own (if not sound even better). And yes, I know that there are Von Schweikerts to be had at 50K and even JBL makes an Everest model at a 50K price point, unfortunately that’s out of my reach.

Also, I’m told the JBL Array 1400 can annihilate the 412s. While that may be true, spec wise it doesn’t appear that way. I’m not simply looking for speakers to handle more wattage. The Array 1400’s appear to me at face value to be more-of-the-same (with respect to the 412s).

So, my dilemma – although it’s not a bad one to have – is because I’m budget constrained to 5K, do I stay with my JBL S412Ps or should I “upgrade” and if so, to what?
128x128gdhal

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"Zd542, I agree with you, however, certainly you would agree that specs are certainly part of the equation."

"Specs do have their uses, but they can't tell you anything about sound quality."

I believe I said just that.

"In this case both JBLs are rated to go to 32Hz. One has a sensitivity of 91db the other 89db. One has three the other four drivers."

If you're going to rely on specs, you need to make sure all of them are taken into consideration. And just not some. For example, the 89db speaker may be much easier to drive than the 91db speaker. Other factors like impedance, xover design, how bass is handled, etc.., all play a huge part. But even if you have all the specs, you still can't predict how the speaker will sound. There's no way to measure things like timbre, imaging, sibilance, pacing....
"Also, I’m told the JBL Array 1400 can annihilate the 412s. While that may be true, spec wise it doesn’t appear that way."

I can't recommend a speaker because I have no idea what you would be happy with, but I can say this. Specs do have their uses, but they can't tell you anything about sound quality.
"Zd won't like this but I ended up with B&W 804S which retained many of the things I like about the JBLs. They do not image quite as well, but dynamic range is great, and I began hearing things in program material I did not hear with the JBLs. For the money you are talking about, used B&W s might be an option."

Once again, you're wrong. What I like or dislike is not the issue. I know you mean well, but its all about you. Yes, I don't like B&W speakers, but that's my honest opinion. Its just as valid as yours. Also note that I don't try and sell my favorite speakers in every thread. As with any speaker, opinions vary.

"And regarding specs, they are basically meaningless."

I agree with you on that one. Gdhal, one thing I forgot to mention in my last post, is that specs aren't always accurate. They can be way off.