So many great golden era DD tables out there, what do you recommend for $1000?

Pretty much as the title says.
Have been looking for a while for a decent DD table to add to my lot.
Have bought a few lower end ones and ultimately been dissapointed.
Now I know there were/ are literally hundreds of choices from the Japanese Golden era of DD tables.
Looking for suggestions from actual owners of solid DD tables up to about $1000 .
I have read and read but nothing substitutes for real experience.
This would likely not be my primary table, my Garrard 401 has that position for now.

Thank you.
128x128uberwaltz
I can only think of one Japanese manufacturer still making DD tables.  Who else is left?

I've never owned a DD table, so cannot confirm via personal listening tests what the sonic differences might be.  But that doesn't make the servo circuit go away.  It is still there!  It does operate with lag and it does perform corrections within the audio band.  I just can't say how noticeable it may be.  Some tables will be better than others, obviously.

Belt drives have issues too, with elasticity, pulley tolerances, etc.  The key difference will be if there is a negative feedback servo or not.

The problem is similar with linear regulators.  They also operate with a servo within the audio band, reacting to changes in audio signal (unless circuit is balanced or class A).  In this case I have heard the differences.  It is even more pronounced when the audio circuit uses feedback.  Now you have two servos working against each other, each with a different step response!  If the filtering is not done well, the effect is a bit of "technicolor" brightness, sort of like the "sharpness" control on an old TV.  A little bit may be good, a lot is bad.  The sound can get shrill or smeared.

Of course, if you are a DJ doing scratching, then DD is the only way to go.  You need that torque.  :)
Of course, if you are a DJ doing scratching, then DD is the only way to go. You need that torque. :)
@hagtech

First of all we’re not talking about $300 Direct Drive turntables here to serve "wanna be a dj" persons in their bedroom. These turntables may have some problems you have mentioned. But please do not mix together professional niche and high-end.

The finest new Direct Drive turntable SL1000R from Technics cost $18k in USA today, and it is made in Japan. Here is a thread about it. This is reference class Direct Drive for modern High-End market and i doubt anyone in Europe and USA can compete with it nowadays, especially at this price! Matsushita is a giant company! The reason why Japan is the leader in Direct Drive technology is probably because they have been doing it for such a long time.

You will not find any single problem you’re talking about in earlier Technics SP-10mkII and mkIII from the 70s/80s. Even 30 years later those vintage Technics SP-10mkIII is one of the best DD ever made and still cost a lot.

Not every top class Direct Drive have a high torque like Technics motor, for example the Victor TT-101, Luxman PD-444, Denon DP-80 does not have such a high torque and immediate start, but they are also amazing turntables for audiophiles.

Direct Drive is indeed a japanese tradition and they are doing it better than anybody else.

Dear @hagtech  :  Unfortunatelly nothing is perfect in audio and as you pointed out DD has its own trade-offs as BD units too.

We can found out really good quality performances with DD and with BD TTs.

Our choices are determinated by the choice of the best trade-offs for each one of us.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
I am past engaging in the BD vs DD vs ID debates.  I have come to agree with what Raul wrote above, and I've made my choice in favor of DD turntables (and a much modified Lenco) based on bang for the buck.  The really good BDs, to my ears, start at ~$25,000 (new).
Now for my real question: Does anyone know where I can find a video showing how to service (change the lubricant) in my DP80 bearing well?  If someone can provide a verbal description and/or some still pics to go with, that would be much appreciated.  Thanks.  If you think I should start a new thread on this topic, let me know.