So just how much vinyl do YOU own?

Let's hear some numbers!

And when do you think you might have enough to last your lifetime?

Or is it like horsepower ... Too much is never enough!

Do you have regular clearouts or just keep adding until the floorboards start to creak!

All just for fun people!
128x128uberwaltz
Yes they are all 7"45rpm. US garage punk, British beat & psych, Australian garage and psych, Canadian, Dutch, Swedish, Belgian, Danish, German, Greek, Italian garage, beat, pop, popsike, freakbeat etc. Also R&B, blues, soul, funk etc.

Hey @whostolethebatmobile, it sounds like you may be hip to Greg Shaw. If not, he was the first Rock music critic to start (in the late-60’s!) a fanzine devoted to Garage, which he named Bomp Magazine. He also started a record label (also named Bomp), and was for a while The Flamin’ Groovies manager. His office/warehouse was in Burbank, where I visited him a lot in the 80’s-90’s, buying Garage/Punk/import 45’s (my collection of 7" 45’s numbers somewhere around 750-800). Shaw’s primary musical interest was Garage, about which he was an expert (he wrote the liner notes for a lot of Garage/Punk compilation albums). In 2004 he died suddenly at age 55 of a cardiac arrest, leaving behind a massive collection of Garage Band 45’s, estimated to number about 100,000!

I grew up in San Jose in the 60's, and if you are as into Garage as I think you are, you know what that means: as a teenager I saw perform live The Chocolate Watchband (seen in the Roger Corman movie Riot On Sunset Strip. The Watchband’s drummer went to my High School), The Otherside, The Syndicate Of Sound ("Little Girl"), The Trolls/Stained Glass (two albums on Capitol Records, no hits), People ("I Love You"), and all the other San Jose Garage Bands you’ve read about. I somehow managed to miss The Count Five (of "Psychotic Reaction" fame). I also saw The Music Machine ("Talk Talk". They were great!) and other national acts when they came through on tour. San Jose is considered by Rock ’n’ Roll historians to be Ground Zero for Garage, with at least one band on every suburban block!

I love The Sonics to death, and saw the reformed line-up about ten years ago. But my favorite Garage Band of them all is The Lyres. I saw them at Club Lingerie on Sunset Blvd. in the 1980’s, and almost lost my mind. They’re real good on record, but insanely great live. Monoman (Jeff Conolly) plays his Vox Continental organ with one hand, and a tambourine with the other. He is a man possessed!

Cataloging? I go by genre, then alphabetically by last name in group or artist. For order  when released, if I dont know I google their discography.
400-500 hundred? All good quality, many rare. Mostly Jazz and classical. Smaller section with some rock, blues, world. 

My source material is vinyl or hi-rez streaming. I see no reason to have vinyl of much of the new electronic music—of it was made digitally, I will replay it digitally. 

One of my weird little lps is a transcription from Edison waxes. Even though that is available streamed, I find it droll to  go from one extinct medium to another that was on life support and is now resurrected. And I have some emotional connection to records that were my dad’s. But for the most point, I don’t fetishize vinyl. I just love beautiful music reproduced nicely. 
bdp24 -

Wow that is amazing, to grow up in San Jose in that era! I’m jealous, hearing about all the incredible garage bands you saw in the mid ’60s. I met Greg and Suzy Shaw in 1977 when I visited their home in Los Angeles, and he showed me his record collection and spent the whole day with them discussing music. He released a 45 I made with my band, on his Voxx label.

I love the Sonics (Tacoma WA) too. And the Music Machine. And the Lyres. Here is a shot I took just now showing some of the ’60s garage 45s (and a few LPs) I have in my collection, all from San Jose (except Music Machine). Maybe you even saw some of the more obscure bands, as support acts for the more well-known bands?

http://www.g45central.com/posts/SanJose.jpg