So I'm looking to rebuild the home theater system

I’m looking at receivers under 3-4K. I don’t need more than 7.2, and am about 15 years out of date. There seems to be more bells and whistles, but what is the sound quality like now days?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim
Does anyone know if someone makes an adapter to make an older receiver wifi?

That is what they are for. Many options.
In that range I would at least look at the Anthem.  I recently purchased the AVM60 and am thrilled with it. Built in ability to stream, room correction, etc. I have a 7.1.4 set up. Never thought I would add the additional channels for ATMOS but am so glad I did - both music and movies. Remainder of system is 10 yr old Rotel amplification and B&W speakers all around. For my price range, I am very happy with it .  
Hi pattemf132, 

I did look at the Anthem MRX  1120. And I  thought it was more than I needed. I also looked at the MRX  720, and it's still on my list. My thought was to start with the Yammy, if I didn't like it, I would return it and work my my way through a few different brands and models. With a goal of going wireless, and that's going to be even more fun.

JD
loomisjohnson,

Thanks for the tip. Never been to accessories 4 less. I'll definitely check them out. 

JD

@curiousjim I strongly encourage you to spend time bringing yourself up to date with the 'State of the State' of HT. There are ample online sites to bring you up to date, and with minimal time investment. There are also numerous reviews of all of the receivers being discussed in this thread and those write-ups should give you a good feel for the pros and cons of each unit.

Regarding your previous question(s):

For example, a WiFi adaptor may be unnecessary if you choose to use a Roku, Amazon, Google or Apple device with your TV.

For example, if you have a current TV then you can use the Apps within to accomplish what you are looking for.

For example, most of the current TVs have WiFi built in.

Regarding sound quality:

For me, the soundtrack is the soul and life blood of a movie. With poorer renditions a movie is not nearly as emotionally engaging (sadness, anger, violence, love, etc. etc. require the music to convey the same and to pull at your heart strings).

If a component were more musically competent and emotionally engaging and 'musical' that would be the one I would recommend, without hesitation.

The power ratings (for mainstream receivers) are typically NOT for all channels driven and some companies are much more conservative and accurate with their power ratings.

There are valid and very good reasons why seasoned HT enthusiasts choose higher end / smaller manufacturers over the mass market brands. 

Since you seem to hold on to your components, I advise you choose quality, even if it costs more, over the long run. 

Receivers also lose value quickly, which makes the following option a very good one: step up to a highly regarded, higher end unit that is a couple of years old. 

All the best.