So, I listened to a $1Million Dollar System

So, I listened to a $1Million dollar system.

A somewhat local dealer had an event that showcased the Dan D’Agostino Relentless Epic mono block amps, Relentless Preamplifier, Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX speakers and subsonic subwoofer. Along with the Transparent cabling, HRS stands, DCS Dac and other accessories I estimate the total cost to be over $1Miilion.

I was able to sit in the front row center. The speakers estimated to weigh over 700 lbs. were toed in quite a bit towards the listener.

The demonstrator played a lot of obscure music that centered on some very deep bass. I must admit the bass was quite impressive.

Eventually (reluctantly) the demonstrator played a few tunes that I requested, and I was quite surprised.

With this million-dollar system the music sounded quite dull, the rep called it “mellow”, but to me it was dull. There was no life to the music, limited highs and zero music coming from the extreme left- right.

For instance, I use the Linda Ronstadt track “Blue Bayou” as a reference. Within this track at about the 40-60 second mark there is a mandolin that plays in the extreme left channel. On many systems that information is buried deep into the mix. However, systems with high resolution can play it clearly. Unfortunately, with this million-dollar system I could not even detect it.

So why is it? Can the Wilson speakers be adjusted in such a way as to accent the bass and attenuate the mid-treble? If so, why would they demonstrate that way? Were the speakers too toed in? Or was it because there were about 10 people in the room (btw, a large room) which muted some of the speaker’s energy? Whatever, I was NOT impressed.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

I used to go to Hifi show in Montreal where equipment  is placed in hotel rooms. Just for fun I was trying to go from one room to another without paying attention to manufacturer/price just figuring out what sound my ears like more. In the end the winner was quite cheap Exposure/Spendor system but there was other stuff there wwway more expensive. This suggests that each person would prefer something where specific to their music tastes.

This sounds like what happens when I order really expensive wine. My expectation is so high that I'm almost always disappointed. 

I'm reflexively suspicious of these really giant round number price tags. So often these prices are for show off buyers like a newly minted rap star or the like. 

For my personal tastes an ARC Ref 5, Ref 300 Ms, and a set of Maggies with a respectable sub is about all my ear can discern and that set up is under 25K. I'd spend the $970K I "saved" on a '74 365BB (350K) and the rest would go into equity a nice medical building with a plastic surgeon as a tenant- rents used to support my audio addiction. :)

I cannot say that I believe that any system is "worth" $1,000,000.00, although I know that it is easily possible for a system to cost that much or more. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in, n'est pas?

Wilson and D'Agostino are a known synergizing configuration. Not heard that with a loom of Transparent wire though. But I've heard plenty of $1M+ systems and some are very lack luster while others will knock your socks off. One of the best was the Mbl Xtreme system; if I could afford it, and had the right room, I'd have it. Alas, it'll never happen. I've heard it setup a number of places and Jeremy always seems to make the system sing, no matter what room it is in.

Like a number of others have suggested, the elephant in the room is the lack of setup. Wilson should come out to do the setup of the dealer is unable. I've heard the XVX/D'Agostino Momemtum/dCS big stack/Clear Audio Statement with ARC Ref 10 phono pre and Nordost Odin 2 setup a number of times and it is really good. Not quite what I'm looking for, but it is in no way dull. Again, it is all about the room and setup and of course room treatment.

Ozzy, hope you will get to hear a trophy system someday that'll really blow you away. They are out there for sure. I live in a metro area so have access to lots of dealers and to the shows though I haven't been to any for a number of years.

@kota1 Yes, it may not be worth $1 million even if it cost that much.  I've heard at least a dozen near and over $1 million systems at shows and at an audio store.  Only ONE type was worth it to my wife and I.  Also, many about 50+ reviewers/critics adore those systems.  Both featured Von Schweikert Ultra 9 and 11s.  With Master Built cables, Kronos table/arm, VAC amp and pre-amp, etc.  Using my classical LPs and jazz CDs-just as if the musicians were performing in front of you, like a microphone feed recreating the event.