So, I listened to a $1Million Dollar System

So, I listened to a $1Million dollar system.

A somewhat local dealer had an event that showcased the Dan D’Agostino Relentless Epic mono block amps, Relentless Preamplifier, Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX speakers and subsonic subwoofer. Along with the Transparent cabling, HRS stands, DCS Dac and other accessories I estimate the total cost to be over $1Miilion.

I was able to sit in the front row center. The speakers estimated to weigh over 700 lbs. were toed in quite a bit towards the listener.

The demonstrator played a lot of obscure music that centered on some very deep bass. I must admit the bass was quite impressive.

Eventually (reluctantly) the demonstrator played a few tunes that I requested, and I was quite surprised.

With this million-dollar system the music sounded quite dull, the rep called it “mellow”, but to me it was dull. There was no life to the music, limited highs and zero music coming from the extreme left- right.

For instance, I use the Linda Ronstadt track “Blue Bayou” as a reference. Within this track at about the 40-60 second mark there is a mandolin that plays in the extreme left channel. On many systems that information is buried deep into the mix. However, systems with high resolution can play it clearly. Unfortunately, with this million-dollar system I could not even detect it.

So why is it? Can the Wilson speakers be adjusted in such a way as to accent the bass and attenuate the mid-treble? If so, why would they demonstrate that way? Were the speakers too toed in? Or was it because there were about 10 people in the room (btw, a large room) which muted some of the speaker’s energy? Whatever, I was NOT impressed.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

I went to a show about 6 years ago. It had almost all of the same gear. Dan D' Agostino mono amps. DCS DAC, Wilson Alexia 2's. I had the exact opposite opinion. Well not opposite but I was so overwhelmed that I kept weeping when I would go in that room to listen. I had never heard anything like it. And still haven't really. It was the most emotionally engaging sound I had ever heard. I mean I was with my wife. I was trying to hide it but it was impossible. I was literally weeping like a baby. It was set up absolutely perfect. So I would say combo of room and setup. 

Also Ozzy I would say your system and room are more carefully set up. In fact I could guarantee it. Your system in that room should sound fairly close to that. I like your system and room. What amp stands are those? Is that like 3" thick granite? 

rhale64.

Thank you for the comments. The amp stands are actually (DIY) made from 4" thick maple. I have 2" threaded Audiopoint’s underneath. On the amp stand under the amps I am using Critical Mass footers.

All of this actually sounded much better than the Grand Prix amps stands still pictured on my audio system.

ozzy

@ozzy I'm a little surprised that you think a million dollar system should be significantly better than a $100k system.  I suspect that the higher priced system would play louder (maybe even softer), have deeper bass and possibly have some refinement over the lower cost system, but it wouldn't be a night and day difference.  What I'm saying is that for $100k someone should be able to put together an outstanding sounding system.  As always, I could be wrong.  I'm sure someone could pick a specific music track that would sound dramatically different on the systems.