So I just bought an Accuphase C-200

What do I need to be aware of? What can I expect? Are there any mods that need to be done to it?

I've just heard such wonderful things about this pre and I'm really excited to get it and put it in my system. Right now, I'm running a McIntosh C45 thats on loan from a friend of mine.

Love to hear your opinions!
neway317

Showing 3 responses by wavetrader

I'm probably the biggest fan of this pre-amp. I recently had mine recapped with Nichicon gold and it is stunning. I have another that is going to be done with blackgates. The preamp originally was done in Elna gray caps....which were popular in the mid-late 70's but not the best. About 20-22 caps need to be replaced or by-passed in the signal path. Also the 2 prong power outlet needs to be changed to a 3 prong type. Message me if you want I have a great tech that was trained on these older Accuphase units by the factory. A word of caution as some of the caps and resistors were specially matched for the circuts and should not be replaced. Message me if you like.
I find the stock C200 very transperent and open with one drawback.....the highend lacks a liitle smoothness. The soundstage is very large and is layered. Musical notes are on the uncolored side of the spectrum and the bottom end is full.
My upgraded example is totaly natural and uncolored with a transperency that leaves the impression of a live setting. So the biggest improvement is in it's ability to reproduce the source material with uncanny realism with a noise floor that is way way down.
Now if somebody can share their observations on the later Accuphase preamps that would be interesting.
Yes the C200 is very natural. My experience is that McIntosh and ARC of that era will sound colored surprisingly so. The Aux 1 and 2 outputs are the main connections for everything but a tuner and phono. The ouput level should be the same as the tuner. I use Aux 1 for my DAC which connects to my CD transport and my sattelite receiver. I normally have the volume control at 9:30 to 10:00 o'clock....11 is very loud and 12 will produce rock n roll levels. Check it further...connections ect. You may need a tech to look at it.