So I just bought a Hegel H390 and

I am building a new system and I just bought a H-390.  It should arrive by the end of the week.  I want to get new to me speakers to go with it. So if you’ve have or have had a Hegel H-390 or a H-590,  what speakers under $10.000 sounded the best.  And I guess I should probably get some wires also.  Nothing crazy, but not zip cord.

Thanks.

JD
128x128curiousjim

Showing 2 responses by hshifi

Hello,
I agree that the Hegel gear sounds great with a lot of speakers. My recommendation is KEF Reference 1 bookshelf on the matching stands for $10k. Don’t be fooled by the bookshelf description. You do not need subs with this. When you go to shows KEFs are being driven by Hegel gear a lot. If you need towers go with the R line which is less expensive like the KEF R5 or  KEF R11. This store sells both in the Chicagoland area:
https://holmaudio.com/
If anyone has either of these brands and wants to demo them to hear for themselves you should stop by this store.  They let you demo products in your home. When I was in the store pickin up my Hegel V10 phono stage that I ordered they had the H590 hooked up to the KEF Blades. The other big room is where they had the Hegel H390 and the KEF Reference 1s on sound anchor stands. They look good with both stands. I prefer the KEF stands. Another option is Maggie’s with the JL Audio Subs. This would be $10k also if you bought big enough Maggie’s and the F series JL Audio subs like a pair of JL Audio F110 subs. 
This store is not a Maggie dealer. Maggie’s also sound great with REL subs. I own both brands and love them both. I hope this helped you out. 
Hello,
The Hegel products have a really good damping factor. If a typical amp would have say 1000 damping factor I believe this amp has 4000. It’s amazing how even their smaller amps like the H95 can drive Maggie’s. This H390 is second from the top so it can do it with ease.