So I heard some B&W Signature 805s today...

...at a local dealer, and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. I listened with a goldmund amp to VTL pre from a Rega P9 with a high-level grado cart.

I'm trying to find a no-compromise stand-mounted monitor speaker that I can live with for a very, very long time. I don't think the B&Ws are it.

They did do some things right - imaging was superb, they do have a very big-spacious sound which I enjoy, bass was pretty good... but! there was something not right in the midrange, that I couldn't quite pinpoint. It was as though the sound got mushed in the middle, and didn't resolve right. It just wasn't a clean, clear good sound. When pushed to moderately-loud volume, the speakers were fatiguing. I just wanted to turn it down. The tweeter was a little metallic sounding and excessive for my tastes as well.

So that you understand my tastes a bit better... I think the Wilson Sophia (~$12k) sounds absolutely fantastic. Detailed yet smooth, excellent soundstaging, wonderful tonality. The B&W sound that I heard was much heavier in the middle, in a not good way.

Has anyone else had a similar/different experience with these speakers?

Do you have any other recommendations for a no-compromise (other than low bass) monitor for me to audition? I would LOVE to find one that sounds (to me) as good as the wilson Sophia, just without the low bass. I'll add a REL. I have a small room (14.5 x 13 ft).

Right on,

Todd
goatwuss

Showing 1 response by jlamb

In a showroom audition consisting of Cary v12, CDP and pre, sig 805 vs the new Dynaudio 1.4, I found myself drawn to the 1.4's. The 805's quickly became fatiguing to me. Audition music consisted of Jack Johnson (On and On -dealer's choice). Gidon Kremer (Tango Ballet - my choice) and Alicia de Larrocha (Albeniz: Obras para piano - again my choice). To my ears, on that particular day, I remember the Dyn's as being the more 'musical' speaker. The Jack Johnson simply boogied (I had never heard him before, but I ran out and bought that CD that evening!), though I did think the bass was slightly 'loose' (due to tube amp I suspect). With the Gidon Kremer, I listenned to almost the entire disc on the 1.4 without realizing I was supposed to be listenning to the 'equipment. On the other hand, the 805 only left with the lackluster impression, 'that's nice'. With the Albeniz piano music, I found the midrange to be a little forward or exagerated on the 805's, the highs on the 'tizzy' or metalic side. In comparison, the 1.4's seemed to have smoother tonal balance. my 2 cents!