Smoothest and best sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600??

As the title of the thread reads, I am looking for recommendation for the best and smoothest sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600.  I am replacing a restored and recently upgraded Thorens TD-145 turntable with a Audio Technica brand new 440MLb cartridge. I am finding that floating suspension turntables require more isolation against floor vibration.  Other than that, the table is very good. 

I also would prefer a more contemporary design.

Note: I will probably put the the Thorens on sale after reading the comments and recommendations to this thread.  Thank you for your feedback  

sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by raymonda

BTW, a Linn lp12 or We'll Tempered Record Player are also good choices if you must go with a new table.

Some folks don't like the Linn basic plus arm, or its variants, but find them ok.

I probably should have stated that your phono section and cartridge are two ways to better calibrate your listening preferences.

Thorens 145 and 160 variants are generally a pretty smooth sounding table.  Depending on what you mean by restored will vary its performance level. If it is essentially stock then modding it would elevate it tremendously. A better plinth and tonearm will get you a table that performs amazing. However, that can add 500 to your investment and require some level of skill and time committed.

Also, the 440 is not, imo, a smooth sounding cartridge. A Denon 301 mkii, if you can run it, is. A Denon 110 is also a bit more on the smooth side, too.

The Shure m97xe is also smooth sounding and a great value. It doesn't have the same level of resolution as the other two recomendation.

A Rega arm works really well on your table and beats the pants out of anything in its price range.