Smooth/Musical Bookshelves upto $1500 - $2000

Hi members,

Greetings, I'm so glad to have found this forum. This is my first post and i'm taking my first step into real/proper Hi-Fi. Some details.

Room Size = 12ft x 10ft
Music Source = Desktop PC
Music Type = Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Dance, House, Techno.
Budget for speakers = $1500 - $2000 ( Bookshelves )

I like a Smooth and Musical sound which is easy on the ears, a kind of sound which is comfortable to listen for long hours. Basically fatigue free listening.

Unfortunately i have very sensitive ears. A Bright/Analytical/Forward sound gives me a headache within minutes and High Treble pierces my ears and they start hurting rather quickly.

At the same time i'd like the sound to be involving & exciting with a melodious character with a bit of detail. Taught bass with excellent vocals is preferred. I'm willing to add a Subwoofer. ( separate budget )

I'd like to invite suggestions for Bookshelves which fit the above description. I hope such a Speaker exists which is involving & exciting but at the same time smooth and musical.

Regards,

Rana.
rana_kirti

Showing 3 responses by rumadian

While I don't wish come across like some crass chest-thumping douche, I feel like I may able to help you out here. I've owned literally dozens of monitors throughout the years. I also actively listen to pop / rock / dance / electronic, and so on and so forth. My (main) listening room is nearly the same size as yours. And I use the PC on one of my systems.

So having said all that... the BIG question is... will these speakers be used in a desktop application? IE: Located on your computer desk and situated only a couple feet from your ears? Or is this setup going to be more traditional? IE: Sitting in a chair that's at least 6ft away from the speakers?

Either way, my suggestion would be the following:

For the traditional application: Go with a set of Fritz Rev 5's. They are everything that you're looking for. Smooth (yet articulate and free of spikey treble). Sport a warm and articulate midrange. They sport the punchy kind of bass that compliments the kind of music that you listen to. And they have the kinda sound you can just sit back and vibe to... I honestly cannot think of a better match for your situation.

Now if your considering something for desktop use: I'd suggest looking at either a set of Sonus Faber TOY's (with a REL T5 sub), or a set of Harbeth P3ESR's. The little Sonus Fabers work well against walls and sound great in desktop applications. The only problem is that they are bass shy, so you'll likely want a sub to fill out the bottom end.

The next recommendation, the Harbeth's, may surprise a few people - as it's pretty well documented how limited these speakers are in terms of bass extension and dynamics. And while it's true that they wouldn't make you happy in a traditional setup, I find that their limitations become HIGHLY mitigated when employed in a desktop environment. Seriously.... I run a set of P3ESR's on my desktop setup, and they sound great with every kind of music that I throw their way. From Kanye West to Cradle of Filth to Lady Gaga and just about everything in between - they deliver the musical goods.

Anyways, that's my take on things. Hope this helps. Good luck in the search!
Bongo,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what you suggested is pretty much the opposite of what the Rana_Kirti is looking for.

Don't get me wrong. ATC makes fine transducers. But their well documented tendency towards being rather unforgiving of poor recordings is at odds with Rana's goals. And the B&W 685's you mentioned are simply outgunned in this company. A more suitable B&W entry would be the CM5 - which too falls short of Rana's criteria as it is a bit tilted up along the treble.

As for the bass on the P3ESR's.. I have zero problem's with how they portray hip hop, electronica, rock, metal, or any other kind of music when set up in the near field. What they lack of laser-like speed they more than make up for in terms of tone and, (within their physical limitations), density..
Bongo,

Since I feel like this discussion could easily slide into knit-picking territory, I'll bypass all that fodder and simply leave things as this; I hope that Rana will be able to receive a good demo of the suggestions made in this thread - to include your own. :)