SME Series III or SME 3009

I have an SME Series III arm with an Ortofon SME 30H cartridge I use with a Thorens TD 160 BC II turntable. I'd like to buy a TD 124 just because I think they're so handsome and I lusted after one since the 50s when I first became interested in audio. But most of the TD 124 I see listed come with SME 3009 arms. Would a 3009 be a step up or down or sideways from a Series III? The Series III is handsome and entertaining in itself with its weight suspended over a pulley.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 2 responses by dbphd

Having read your post here and a series of posts on the Asylum, I've decided to keep the SME Series III with its Ortofon SME 30H cartridge and look for a TD 124 without a tonearm, or try to work out a deal where the seller keeps the SME 3009.

db
I came across this old thread and saw my post at the end of the year. I found a local source for Thorens expertise from whom I bought a beautiful TD 124 that he had mechanically restored -- it didn't need cosmetic restoration. He did a proper setup of the SME 3009 Series III arm with Ortofon SME 30 H cartridge. The table and arm are a joy to use. The sound with high-end vinyl is superb, but even my old vinyl sounds surprising good. I ordered a lucite cover that lets the unit appear like the jewel it is. It sits atop my equipment cabinet so I see the icon every time I enter the media room. Pure joy.

db