SME Series III or SME 3009

I have an SME Series III arm with an Ortofon SME 30H cartridge I use with a Thorens TD 160 BC II turntable. I'd like to buy a TD 124 just because I think they're so handsome and I lusted after one since the 50s when I first became interested in audio. But most of the TD 124 I see listed come with SME 3009 arms. Would a 3009 be a step up or down or sideways from a Series III? The Series III is handsome and entertaining in itself with its weight suspended over a pulley.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd

Showing 1 response by bendic

Have the same SME 3009 S III arm with both SME and Ortofon/SME 30H wands.
Was confronted with the stylus replacement problem for the Ortofon/SME integrated cartridge and ended with two replacements: one new Ortofon OM30 as it has same Nude Fine Line (8/40) conical tip as the original 30H stylus, and the other a new Jico Concorde 30 with a bonded elliptical tip (0.3x0.7 I believe?).
Both of them seem to perform nicely but I found that the fit of the Jico stylus on the Ortofon wand was not as good as the Ortofon, it will not go all the way to the face of the support, a very small gap will therefore remain.
I could of also mounted an Ortofon OM40 (elliptical) but price is higher and I am not sure I would get all the benefit as it normally fits a cartridge that has different electrical (coil) values?