SME release new Garrard 301

Price is 12,500GBP (c.$16500)
128x128noromance

Showing 4 responses by lewm

Sonic, you have kind of skirted the point. If the turntable shown in the photos published by SME is an example of their new product, then it is no different from an Artisan Fidelity or other refurbishment project that we have seen before. Arguably the SME 301 is not even as technically advanced as is the artisan Fidelity product. Because it definitely appears to be based on an original production Garrard 301 chassis. On the other hand technics produced what is really an entirely new turntable with a new motor and Higher quality construction and perhaps made the error of having it look like their old production item. But the new Technics tables are truly new. It remains to be seen whether the new SME 301 will be a truly new turntable or will be like the one shown in their photos.
 Well, on a 301, the serial number is right there upfront for all to see. So I don’t know who is going to be fooled and for how long. Most 301 lovers are steeped in serial numbers, in order to distinguish grease bearing from oil bearing models, and in order to distinguish which ones should have the stroboscopic markings on the platter. Those are the same people to whom this product might otherwise appeal.
 On vinyl asylum, someone published photos of the new SME 301 product that show in one case the serial number. I believe that the serial number shown on the black placard is that of an original Garrard 301. Therefore I suspect that what we are looking at is nothing but a restored 301 in a Loricraft plinth with an SME tonearm. That is not a “new” turntable.  Moreover, if one is desiring an enhanced 301, one can do a lot better for less money. 
THAT tonearm and THAT plinth?
It looks like a replica of the original, rather than an upgrade from it.  Unlike what Technics did with the SP1000R.