SME 309 vs SME IV - sonic differences?

Hi - I would like to learn from the experts about the sonic differences of this two arms - I have read all the specifications from both of them regarding the bearing tolerances, materials, etc... but... what is the bottom line regarding sonics?

Thanks for sharing your experience, I would like to take a decision for my arm replacement.

Fernando
128x128flg2001

Showing 3 responses by rccc

Fernando, I dont have direct experience with that cartridge but it seems it should mate well with the sme. Im sure someone on agon must be running that combo though. post it as a general question.
Rick
I had a 345 (basically a 309) and a V. I didnt hear a big difference between them using a high resolution cartridge ( ca insider ) and clean phonopre ( custom tube ) The removable headshell is very convienient on the 309 and I preffered using that arm and never missed the performance difference of the V.
my $.02 Rick
I should add that the performance of any arm is going to be cartridge dependent and the sme works well with a fairly wide selection of cartridges. The big selling point of the V for me is the ease of set up. I change cartridges alot and can be up and running in a couple minutes. If the V had the removable headshell it would really be easy.The removable headshell also allows for azimuth adjustment.