SME 3009 II Unimporved -- "Thin" Sound

I would much appreciate any guidance/comments:  I am getting back into analogue after 20 years away, and had a opportunity to have a Thorens 124 and SME 3009 II Unimproved completely restored -- then set up by a knowledgeable technician.  My tech also recommended a Hana EH, which now has about 30 hours' time logged. Have tried BOTH the MM input on my Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, and the Schitt Mani into the AUX input of the Audible Illusions. Also purchased several current audiophile LP's of various genres -- for "trial" purposes.

To my ear, the result is "OK," but a bit lifeless.

Without drilling down too deeply into the physics and arm adjustments -- which I am 95% certain are correct -- can anyone enlighten me as to how I can improve. I suspect the hardware and mechanics -- given their age -- are capable of much better performance, but ... (after being accustomed to good quality digital reproduction) I am beginning to wonder if my expectations are too high!

THANKS, all!

wdesbrow

Showing 2 responses by tablejockey

Schiit Mani...it's a great $150 phonostage. I used one while the tubed unit was being repaired.

A great backup phonostage for your "proper" $1K minimum(or $2K retail+ used)  This should  bring it back to life. SS or tube.

Consider original or close to presses. Table/arm/cart  are solid.
"Tablejockey -- Not sure I understand your post (?). I assume you are implying that the Schitt Mani is NOT up to the performance of the rest of the system??? Did you man something other? "

wdesbrow-You can get more out of your rig with an nicer phonostage.  The Schiit is a great unit. You can improve upon that, but it requires a little more $$. You will hear more "life" in your records, with a tube unit. Of course, that's my subjective opinion.

I'm a tube fan, so I would suggest a used Manley Chinook. Great reviews, I've used on in my system. Very nice if you can find a used  one for around  1//2 the retail.https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9jf95-manley-chinook-phono-stage-phono
I'd offer $15-16