SME 3009 II Unimporved -- "Thin" Sound

I would much appreciate any guidance/comments:  I am getting back into analogue after 20 years away, and had a opportunity to have a Thorens 124 and SME 3009 II Unimproved completely restored -- then set up by a knowledgeable technician.  My tech also recommended a Hana EH, which now has about 30 hours' time logged. Have tried BOTH the MM input on my Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, and the Schitt Mani into the AUX input of the Audible Illusions. Also purchased several current audiophile LP's of various genres -- for "trial" purposes.

To my ear, the result is "OK," but a bit lifeless.

Without drilling down too deeply into the physics and arm adjustments -- which I am 95% certain are correct -- can anyone enlighten me as to how I can improve. I suspect the hardware and mechanics -- given their age -- are capable of much better performance, but ... (after being accustomed to good quality digital reproduction) I am beginning to wonder if my expectations are too high!

THANKS, all!

wdesbrow

Showing 1 response by lewm

The OP elicited a lot of good comments.  None of us is inside "widebrow"'s head, so none of us can be sure what is "missing", as far as he's concerned, from the results of this experiment into analog. I can only offer my personal opinion. When I read the list of equipment being used, I can sort of paint a picture in my mind of how it might sound, albeit the OP does not tell us what speakers he is using, which could be very important.  But from amplifiers back to the turntable/tonearm/cartridge, this sounds like a system that would underwhelm me, just as it underwhelms the OP.  I have heard at one time or another each element, and none of them is "top drawer".  None of it is "bad", but none of it is in my opinion first rate, and therefore I would not expect the ensemble to yield my own version of Nirvana. I would expect a decent but not thrilling result. For example, it is not for nothing that the SME 3009 was "improved" in versions of the tonearm that came later.  I have heard the TD124 many times, and I know it is an audio icon, but I have always heard it as a bit colored and not as silent as many modern turntables.  In contrast, I much prefer the Garrard 301 or the Lenco L75. I say this with all due respect; it's just my impression based on my set of opinions of the gear in question.  I agree also with Mijo who I think was the one who said he has never been able to place an HOMC cartridge in the top rank; I haven't either.