SME 20/3 or Oracle Delphi VI or Garrard 301

I am just about to buy a new table. I have happily owned an original oracle Delphi for 30 years! Choices are the new 20/3, Oracle Delphi VI or possibly a rebuilt Garrard 301. They all run about the same money.
The reviews and comments out there lead me to believe I will be better off using a non SME arm on the 20/3...I will probably go with a Graham Phantom. (I like the removable arm tube concept too) For now I will use my SME IV.
keep reading the SME detractors claim that the tables are lifeless. Not something you can accuse a Delphi of for sure. The HiFi News reviews of both tables are nothing short of glowing. As far as I can tell the Oracle is possibly more nimble and musical(?) while the SME is more "solid".
Your thoughts are welcom
mauidj

Showing 15 responses by dev

Hi Mauidj,

any time I have heard a Oracle in a set-up I've always really enjoyed listening finding the system to be very musical, listen for hours. The eye candy look is very unique and appealing also, you being a happy owner why not just go for the Delphi VI as you mentioned and enjoy for another 30 YEARS or more.

It's really going to come down to your own preference but if you can't demo in your own set-up and are just relying on others comments it's going to be a coin toss, the other tables you refer to will offer a different flavour sonic wise but ....

I also believe the rest of your set-up is important because of the impact.

When I was looking and heard many different tables I always seemed to gravitate to an Oracle and a few German made non suspension, I found that the non suspension offered a different foundation body TEXTURE to the music which I liked so that was the route I choise. There are so many table designs available and in the end will offer a different flavour but you still have your arm, cart "set-up" etc. that will all have a impact on your end result.

If it was me and I truly enjoyed a pce for 30 YEARS the only way I would even contemplate go to a whole new design would be to have what ever peaked my interest in my system for a while and live with it, quick listens might be exciting but that's it.

Good luck and have fun!
Dover may I sugest you read the Mauidj opening thread.

"I have happily owned an original oracle Delphi for 30 years!"

So your statement is your opinion and in your set-up which is okay but what you have just sugested when you said;

"but as soon as you put a piano piece on the wow became unlistenable"

well do I really need to spell it out for you? REDICULOUS!

You "think" the SME 20/3 is in a different league. What the heck type of posting is that.

Good plug for your table.

Heh Mauidj you live in Maui "hang loose"

You stated above you have loved your Oracle for some 30 YEARS so why not just get the Delphi VI and enjoy for another 30 YEARS.

or if you have the means, buy what ever table that interests you and compare at home and then sell off what doesn't do it for you.

Inna, you wrote;

"now wants something both different and better. Quite understandable."

I can agree the other table choices will be different but when you wrote;

"and better. Quite understandable."

using the word "better" is improper and where it gets debatable, very subjective but you seem to already have made your mind up.

Based on what?

Mauidj you are going to get endless opions as you can see by reading above which is fine, some who favour what ever they own which is normal. Listening to table within someone elses set-up which you are not familiar with will only be a stepping stone because you are listening to allot more than just the table, ideally you need to hear it in your own set-up.

Enjoy it's a very interesting journey and that's why I still feel if you loved what you have owned for 30 YEARS well you know the rest.
Dover,

that's your own opinion which is very subjective and debatable.

I never suggested you own a SME, just commented nice plug for your table, I don't agree with your statement made describing it vs a MS either. See how subjective things are.
Dover,

I agree fully that these forums are for discusions but it's what individules write sometimes being opininated and not subjective as they should be.

You suggesting the Oracle sounds terible playing a piano pce and then that the SME is "better" is your opinion, that's okay but just that your opinion which is all subjective just like your opinion in relation to your tables looks. I laughed when I read that for example.

You can see I have not mentioned what I personally own even though at one point the OP inqured about a specific manufacture.

Oracle has been in and out of business, news to me but then again I have never followed this but have never heard anyone having issues dealing with them.

I don't want to get into debates but personally I would own a Oracle over a SME from what I have heard first hand in set-ups to date. If I was looking a dropping that kind of coin on the SME then other table otions would come into the eqaution.
Dover, come on your reply is just a joke in relation to Oracle, really hard for me to believe you were that gullible not to pick-up the phone and contact Oracle yourself.

Really amazes me what I read in these threads.
Mauidj, hope you have your armor on because you just mentioned the word TW, here we go.

Mauidj,

If opinions is what you want well ... as you can see from above lots of them.

Just look at In_shore thread basically suggesting "DD tables" is the way to go, going to the extent of his thread listing individuals, please!

I have nothing against DD drives personally but what I have heard in set-ups offer a different flavour which might or might not be for you, your choice.

Depending on which table you listen to also, they actually offer different sonics. Lots of info. and owners like Lewm are doing on going tweaks from bearing changes, plinths, re-builds and this and that.

The list goes on and on, a tweakers delight, personally that's not for me.

You mentioned $25k for what you were looking at TW wise, ya I agree costly but all relative, what did that include?

It's going to be really tuff unless you get to touch, feel and listen in your own set-up but for sure something will fit your bill.

I was reading one of your threads above and you saying your current table is broken, that sucks.

The Artisan Fidelity units you mentioned look interesting also, price seems to be reasonable with all considered.

If you are looking at DD table you might want to look at "Kondo The Beat" by Steve Dobbin's otherwise known as member Vetterone. Not cheap again, I think arround $20K.

He is into all types of DD tables, into rebuilding and modding tables but this table is his pride and joy.

This is the table that peaks my interest, a possible second table for me down the road.

Mauidj,

I know the feeling, when I went to my bank to wire the payment for the BK I was asked what I was purchasing by this hot looking sweet young woman who was serving me, I said a turntable. She looked at me saying what's that, a bit of a discussion took place which then led to her to ask if I was married, I replied yup. I left and hopped into my AMG Roadster (which is my baby)and next to me was a new Bugatti Vynron which I really really like so to me it's all relative.

Just enjoy what ever it is, as you mentioned; "I just want to hear some vinyl again!"

Lewm, the "Beat" was $20K so if it's $26K now guess the extra $6k is due to setting up a dealer network. If that's the price now it's off my list.

In_shore, possibly I read the end of your response incorrectly so many offer snyd remarks and when I read your responce mentioning the names Steve Dobbin's, Mike Lavigne, Albert Porter" I know these guys are all "DD" lovers and you were saying you agree with them, if I was incorrect I do apologize for such.

That being said instead of you correcting me of such you seem to feel it is appropriate to name call.

Your whole eight threads posted wow!

I won't lower my self to your standards.

Dover,

your responces are the most rediculous specially with what you said about Oracle being in and out of business, talking about a manufacture of such and then putting your foot in your mouth responding saying your table was in the closet for 10 Years, oh my how do you spell looser. Your postings have no credibilty after making such statements.

You obviously being in agreement with In_shore's reply, thins only further demonstrates the type of individual you really are.

If I'm wrong I will gladly admit it.

In relation to In_shore he is far from being perfect himself and one to talk, all one needs to do is look at his own posting in relation to thread titled;

"Motor Controller effect on analog sound"

which TW product was being made in reference due to another thread getting off track and him babbling away and then being corrected politely and responds back saying;

05-31-11: In_shore
Dan_ed you are right.It was so early in the morning getting through my first cup of coffee and not paying attention to the responses of the op's question.
Just a galloping case of tunnel vision I guess.
Never the less I think it could be worth while to try out better motors. I do have a good candidate for this I think ,a Micro Seiki RX1500fvg.

Notice he still has to offer a snyd remark and suggest there is something wrong with the motors which is a farse and adds sugesting "Micro Seiki".

Others reading may not know but I know he is a Micro Seiki fan which is okay but his remarks are not called for, does he provide any proof for making such a bold statement? No

Just another snyd remark like I mentioned above. A few of you guys have problems with staying on track and on toppic and just seem to like to troll, have hidden adgendas and post negative postings in one way or another, seem to like to attack other members, either sugesting their gear is not any good etc.

You need to get a life, you are most likely just envy, never actually had the pce. in your own set up and are just enjoy being a idiote.
Dover, you obviously missed that, my spelling that is.

Again with your snyd or as you put it snide remarks,you just can't resist which suggests what? would you like me to refer to your past threads and point out such? Ya I'll agree my spelling lacks but you are far from being perfect.

First you made a statements in relation to Oracle saying;

"but as soon as you put a piano piece on the wow became unlistenable"

That may be your opinion which is okay but as you can see by reading the OP's responce does not agree with you and was a insult made by you, so you making such a reply is what????

Then in another thread you go on further to sugest Oracle has been in and out of business a number of times.

As per member Manitunc he replies;

"if you beieve you are correct, then name at least two times that Oracle has been in and out of business. You would need at least two to say a "number" of times."

I still don't see a reply to that.

This posting isn't about you or I so lets not debate such, if you could only try stay on topic and if you have nothing nice to say just keep it to your self.
Lewm, SP10 MK3 is a wonderful table and I would never suggest different but as you know it really does take a bit of effort and money to get the best out of it.

When you referred to the BEAT and mentioned you not being a serious contender, why?

My understanding is everything that Steve has learned from working with other tables in general he has transfered into making the Kondo The Beat table.

I have spoken with Mike several times and he is lovin his Beat table along with his other ones also.

As you know Steve being heavily into doing this along with others.

Reason I mentioned "DEALER" for the Beat was because of two reason's, the price you had mentioned if it was only for the table and I have also seen a ad in relation to it posted by member Dlanselm for his new company called "Almost Live Audio" here on Audiogon.

Yes I agree the Veyron must be seen in person to truly appreciate.
Mauidj, congrats on making your choice and enjoy! as long as you are listening to music that's really all that matters.