SME 20/2A set up

Hello
I have just set up my new SME 20/2A and the SME V arm(headshell) overhangs the front of the turntable by aprox 1 inch.This seems odd as the cartridge could be knocked quite easily.
Can a fellow 20/2A owner confirm this is normal.
I have set up sme arms before so I know what I'm doing but I have never seen a 20/2A "in the flesh" to compare.
Thanks
Ian
ianrdickson
Hello Ian

Welcome to the SME club. The arm does hang over the edge like you describe. The footprint was designed to be small for more ridgity.

Paul
Hi Ian ..As Paul said Welcome to the SME club!! You will enjoy I'm sure. Don't forget to try the deck on its ball bearings. To do this remove the feet and pop out the rubber feet with a small allen key or similar.

What cartridge, Phono stage and tonearm cable are you using??

Regards Jonathan.
Just looked at mine, yes over hangs the plinth by about a inch. Never really thought of it as a problem, I kind of like it for sylus cleaning.

The ball bearing tip is good. Also, try a better power cord on the motor controller. You'll be very surprised and happy. New belts seem to help it every year or two. I also have mine on a Symposium Ultra stand. It is sensative to what you place it on.

Good luck, great table !