Small speakers...big sound??

Hello

I'm looking for some suggestions please!! I'm running some vintage Goodmans Triaxioms which I really love...the sound is big, full, definitely not the last word in detail but I can sit and listen to them all day with zero ear fatigue :)

Now question...can I get the same sound from a bookshelf?? I do not like anything bright sounding but I want a full sound that can fill my room.

Unfortunately I might have to part with these beauties. Locally I can audition nothing so all I am going on is internet reviews. Here are some that "may" fit the bill:

Era D4 or D5
Usher 520
Von Schweickert VR1
Gersman X-1
Mordaunt Short Carnival 2
Epos ELS3
Others??

What am I missing and can anyone make suggeestions that would work for me??

Thanks kindly!!!
sideways

Showing 1 response by scott954

My favourite small speaker is the Paradigm Atom. I have owned and listened to dozens of towers and bookshelf speakers and the Paradigm Atom v.3 or v.4 is my favourite speaker.

I have owned the v.6 but feel the v.3 and v.4 sound better. Even A-B'd them with Paradigm Studio 10 v.5 speakers and they were comparable except for the bass and build quality. Although the Atoms have an excellent overall audiophile sound the only caveat is deep bass and high volume capability. The Paradigm Studio 10 v5 or 20 v5 depending on room size would give you greater volume and bass as well as beautiful cabinets and fantastic build quality.

But going back to the Paradigm Atom v.3 or v.4. I think this is a very special small speakers at 10.5"h * 6.5"w * 8.5"d they play big and reproduce music very very well for a relatively small speaker and low price. If you didn't like them for some reason I'm sure you could turn around and sell them for what you paid. After buying used Paradigm v.3's and liking them so well, knowing that Paradigm no longer makes this Performance Series Atom, I bought another used v.4. Highly recommended!