Small Home Advice

Hey, If anyone has a moment to spare I would like to ask the board (or bored as it may be) about some advice for a small living room sound setup. I take great pride in listening to a WIDE array of music and have an undying love for all things music. So I just need something for a room that will sound warm and welcoming. I've been reading posts on the board for close to two hours now on miscellaneous topics and notice a common idea; that everyone can drop $7,000 on a CDP or Amp. Sorry guys, this isn't feasable at this point. At home I get to listen to Planar speakers in a nice setup. For my personal apartment I want smaller. This is where my thought comes in. I hate Bose, with a passion. Bose systems cost like . . . I dunno... they cost much much much more than they are worth. But then I hear these Anthony Gallo Micro's. And they're like $600 and sound great. So what's out there sneaking around that sounds real good, but doesn't have the insane price tag? I want nothing more than to drop $10,000 on a system, but cannot right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or you can just blow me off.
eva01
Linn Majik (stereophile class B) integrated amplifier, Linn Tukan and Linn Mimik CD player.You can find all of these components on the Audiogon (used).Majik 450-600$ Tukan 500-600$ Mimik 500+,-$ Check the Audioreview.com for the product review. You wont find anything better for the price. Guaranteed!!!
Thanks Eldragon, I have actually never heard of Linn and am always open to checking out new things. I'll ask around and see if anyone down here in the south has them demo'd or whatever. Maybe something will work out. You got it right though. All I need right now is something to listen to music on and to sound good. A pair of nice speakers, a nice amp, and a nice CD Player. Thanks for the help, and I welcome anyone elses criticism or comments. -Ryan
Hey Ryan, as far as speakers go, do you know about the Magnepan MMG? $500 new with a 60 trial period and a factory credit towards an upgrade if you choose to do so. Combine this with an inexpensive high power integrated amplifier( Magnepans love watts), a quality DVD player(quality sound and video versatility), and some quality cables(check AudioAdvisor.com and look at MIT cables on sale) and you have a pretty sweet system in the $1500-$1750 range.You could also go Eldragon's route on the cheap and check out the Linn Classik and some nice monitors(Linn Tukans, PSB's, or build a Dynaudio Kit from Madisound). In any case, you should have a quality sound thats only weakness would be in the lower frequencies. Good luck!
Thanks for your input! Actually at home we have (we being my family) a pair of Magneplan 1.6's paired with the Maggie MGSSI Surrounds and MGCCI Center Channel. Those five speakers are running off two Acurus amps, the wattage escapes my mind right now, but I know what you mean by they LOVE watts. Oh and the Acurus ACT-3 is at the head. I haven't heard anyone on the boards discuss Magneplan or Acurus (Monorail?) yet, but I think it sounds great! For both music and movies. I just have to get my dad to replace the wiring, b/c right now it is "lampcord."
What are your impressions of your home system? Not many people have the full Magnepan HT system. The Acurus DIA 100 or 150 was one of the integrateds I had in mind. Where in the South are you? I know a place that has a nice Linn display and am wondering where you found those Maggie surrounds.