Small, Effective Subwoofers?

In a recent speaker thread that I started there were lots of suggestions of adding a couple of subwoofers to my system. As with my speakers (Legacy Signature SEs) I have little room to place subwoofers They will need to go directly to the left or directly to the right of the main speakers. To the left the maximum height would be 12". 12’ would be great on the outside as well, but I could squeeze a slightly bigger unit in there. Would two 12" subs be sufficient here, or would they be too small for this set up?

If 12’ is OK, do you all have any reasonably priced suggestions as did @nevada_matt withe his 2-10 offering from Tekton. I would have never found those on my own, thanks Matt!

I would be super open to some used subs as a cost savings measure here.

128x128navyachts

I am surprised that you need subs with the Signature SEs as well, like others mentioned.  My step father has those in his finished basement (large) and they fill the space perfectly with a Rega Elicit Mk4.  I have the Legacy Studio HDs, and use a REL T5i, which I recommend for size and also their wireless transmitter!  My space is very limited and awkward for placement of everything, so putting the sub, "somewhere" was really the only option.  The wireless transmitter delivers the HI LEVEL signal and is pretty much identical to the wired hook up....only you can put it anywhere you want, or need for dealing with nulls, or placing "in the only spot you can put it!" like my set up.

Best of luck and let us know what you come up with. 

Add MJ Acoustics to the list. I use a Reference 100 with my Harbeth Shl-5. Perfect for covering the lowest octave.

Check out the Velodyne Mini Vee powered subwoofers.  I use one with my Marantz 2235B receiver and ADS L300 speakers.

I searched for a small, fast, musical sub for my Maggies for several decades. Had very little luck until I picked up a KEF KC62 last year. Pricey compared to the competition, but I couldn’t be happier. Keeps up with the speed of the Maggies and has excellent pitch definition. Goes down to at least 20Hz. Worth checking out. 

@niskymichael - yes, I have heard some good things about those KC62s. Where do you place them in relationship to your Maggie's?