Small, Effective Subwoofers?

In a recent speaker thread that I started there were lots of suggestions of adding a couple of subwoofers to my system. As with my speakers (Legacy Signature SEs) I have little room to place subwoofers They will need to go directly to the left or directly to the right of the main speakers. To the left the maximum height would be 12". 12’ would be great on the outside as well, but I could squeeze a slightly bigger unit in there. Would two 12" subs be sufficient here, or would they be too small for this set up?

If 12’ is OK, do you all have any reasonably priced suggestions as did @nevada_matt withe his 2-10 offering from Tekton. I would have never found those on my own, thanks Matt!

I would be super open to some used subs as a cost savings measure here.

128x128navyachts

Ditto on the SVS Micro 3000. Very impressive, Bluetooth connectivity. And you can go on the SVS and order one from their “blemished” section. I really enjoy mine. Pretty small too.

@navyachts I love SVS subs, and I own a pair of the SB-4000, but i have to respectfully disagree with folks recommending the SVS Micro 3000. The specs look appealing, but I’ve had two friends who have owned them and they just don’t go that low, and they will not be sufficient in your room.

The 12” you mention is quite small. Are you sure you can’t afford just a little bit more? What is causing the space limitation? I think the regular SVS SB-3000 would do well, but you the Micro 3000 probably won’t add much more than what the Signature SE can already deliver. 

Surprised that you would need subs for these speakers.  Maybe you don't have the right amplifiers.

+1 @blisshifi SB3000 Micro won’t get it done — physics is physics. Asking a 12” sub(s) to augment a speaker that already hits a solid 22Hz is a tough, and maybe impossible, ask. Whatever’s limiting your sub to 12”, I hope it’s something worth the sacrifice because it’s big.  If it’s that big of a problem and given your limitations on subwoofer size, maybe it’s worth switching to the Focus despite the hassle/cost. 

Assuming you’re going for primarily music, one of the smallest 12" subs are the SVS SB1000 Pros. I have these in a dual sub setup with my Wharfedale Lintons. Lintons at front wall and my subs are on opposing side walls. Did some sub crawling, but primarily went by my REW measurements and ultimately my ears. I often have to go to the subs to see if they’re on, but you can definitely tell when they’re off. Guess I’ve blended them well enough thru measurements and then trial/error. My room goes down to 28hz and I have two corner bass traps. Other than that it’s a carpeted room with a thick curtain over my glass windows. Sounds fantastic and the SVS’ have another great feature - bluetooth app so you can adjust the settings from your listening position.

My final comment is I didn't go dual subs for extra bass, I have enough, but the dual subs handle the nulls mentioned by others, but for me just give a more immersive "presence" with the soundstage, depth, etc.