Small drivers vs big drivers

Hi,
I have a question that is always in my mind recently. I see some speakers with small  drivers (5-9 inches) that is reviewed to be able to throw out big sound stage and go down to 18hz-20hz. Some other speakers with big drivers (10-15 inches) though are commented to have 'big sound stage' but can only go as low as 30-35hz. 

To make the situation more complicated, some speakers have small drivers but there are many of them. Can many small drivers be compensate for the size limitation?

I don't know which specs determine a wide sound stage and the ability to reach low frequencies.  What is the pros and cons of each design?

Thank you!

Huy.
Ag insider logo xs@2xquanghuy147

mzkmxcz wrote: "Soundstage is the off-axis of the speaker."

Well, I have a somewhat different opinion:

A wider radiation pattern results in early sidewall reflections which increase the apparent image width. This is usually judged to be a pleasing effect (according to Toole), but it is not without its downsides.

First, early reflections are more likely to impose colorations and/or degrade clarity.

Second, early reflections tell the ear/brain system that you’re in a small room, and this can constrain soundstage depth and the sense of being immersed in the acoustic space of the recording.

Spectrally-correct late reflections are generally beneficial, enhancing timbre and a sense of immersion without degrading clarity or imposing colorations.

A fairly narrow but well-controlled (i.e. uniform over most of the spectrum) radiation pattern can result in more precise imaging and a deeper soundstage along with better clarity by minimizing early reflections, and if you want a wider soundstage too, move ’em a bit further apart.

Duke

dealer/manufacturer

Even if size isn't everything, without certain minimal size there is nothing. One 8" woofer with good amp in an acoustically correct mid size room can accomplish a lot, but if you really need to go down clear full and loud - no. I like as few drivers as possible, but that's another subject.
Post removed 

Yes, excursion distance before bottoming out is another factor to be taken into consideration.

This is whole thread shows why I find the Raidho (and similar) philosophy totally unconvincing.

I'd add that there are a few other considerations to factor in that I've observed...from a listening perspective:
1.  Are the listeners ears more sensitive to 30hz vs 80hz which will influence their overall perspective of the quality and quantity of bass depending on what the speaker is actually putting out.

2.  Is the listeners body sensitive to bass that is felt and does this influence their perception of the bass they hear
Why is this important....if you have a subwoofer, you know that when it is on and you turn it off...the soundstage collapses....therefore, the amount of bass, the quality of the bass and the physical force of the bass can greatly influence the soundstage.
None of these are very obvious from just the specs alone....and the room has a huge affect because on the nulls....if they are at a frequency range that is key to your own specific hearing/feeling of bass, then the soundstage will seem small...even though the louspeaker itself is doing a good job.