slight noise concern with lamm amplifier?

Hey,

I am not sure if I am just a tad concerned about nothing but I notice that if I have my new lamm 2.2 amp on with all the other equipment on as well but no music playing that if I put my ear next to the speaker I hear a slight amount of snowy sound. I cannot hear it if I step away even a foot or two from the speaker. It certainly not a hum or buzz sound. I am not sure if this is normal (the volume is not on). The amp is connected to a 20a line. I do not remember whether I checked this on my last amp or not. If I have the preamp on but not the amp there is no such sound.

I know that the lamm 2.2 has a ground connection and now I am wondering whether regardless if these issues are connected I should use the ground connection somehow.

any thoughts?

Thanks as always

Mike
128x128karmapolice

Showing 1 response by gs5556

What you describe is normal for almost every amplifier, preamp and phono stage. That noise is caused by the normal operation of the electronics which the speakers pick up (the more sensitve the speakers, the farther away you'll hear it). As long as you can only hear it with your ear close to the speaker - and there are no pops, buzzing or crackling - then it's ok.