Sistrum SP1+Pass Labs XA160 = pretty good results

Last night I placed my XA160 amps on the Sistrum SP1 amp stands that I borrowed from my friend. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sistrums so I was curious to try them out though I must admit I was not expecting much. I mainly got the SP1's because I like the way they look as an amp stand. Fast forward through some sweating, cursing, and groaning as my wife and I struggle to place the amps on those three little spikes.

First of all, I do like the way they make my amps look like they are floating. I also like how they do not add anything to the overall look of my system. I did not want to have another shelf or platform adding to an already crowded space.

What I heard was unexpected though not surprising because of all the great things people have been saying about Sistrums. I heard an immediate improvement in my soundstage depth which is something I have struggled with for some time. I can now actually "see" the different layers of instruments. Is the depth where I want it to be? No but it is a great improvement. The second thing I noticed was a bit more detail. I played a cd that I know very well and actually heard things I never heard before. For example, in one part of a song, the vocalist actually is saying "Wai...ting". I have never heard the "ting" part which she almost says under her breathe.

The last thing I noticed was that my amps are running cooler. This could be due to the fact that they are no longer sitting on the carpet. Perhaps being raised up 4 inches allows more air to circulate all around the heat sinks.

Overall I am impressed. I am going to be adding the speakers stands and eventually the audio rack soon.

The last issue I have is giving these stands back to my friend. Not only do I like what they do for my system, I am in no physical condition to move these amps again! My wife will probably laugh at me if I ask her to help me again.
128x128tboooe
jmcgrogan2,

You are wrong.

Getting old IS all it is cracked up to be.
My back cracks, my knees crack, my neck cracks...
:-)
Yeah my days of moving large 100+ pound amps are over. I tore a bicep tendon moving around a 110+ pound BAT amp. That was it for me. My current stereo amp weighs 47 pounds, that's plenty. Maybe I'll even check out those 10 pound digital switching amps. :)

Getting old isn't all it's cracked up to be!

John
John, unfortunately for me, my wife has not sweated, moaned, or cursed in a LOOOOONG time!!!! (at least not with me) LOL!!!

I guess we are a lot a like. I will probably buy my friend some new ones.
Who was sweating, cursing and moaning, you or your wife?
LOL

So what now? Do you have to give them back? Keep them and buy your friend a new pair. That's what a lazy guy like me would do. :)

John