Single driver speakers without the pitfalls?

In researching SET amps, I have learned a lot more about the sort of high efficiency speakers that they are typically paired with, including single driver models like Omega, Blumenstein, Teresonic, etc.
The advantages of these designs are well acknowledged: coherence, imaging, high-efficiency and so forth.
At the same time, there seem to be equally well acknowledged drawbacks to these designs: Limited bass response, rolled off highs, and a harshness or "shout" in the upper midrange.
Some designers, like Tekton and Zu, seem to take the approach of getting the best of all worlds by joining a wide range driver to a tweeter of some sort. (To some extent, my Reference 3AM De Capo monitors take this approach.)
What I'm curious to learn is whether you think there are any single driver, full range systems that transcend the above limitations.
Eager to hear your thoughts.
rebbi
When in doubt powered subs done well are almost always the great equalizer.
Fostex fe208e sigma can make for a wonderful sound if used in massive BLH but will need a super tweeter. The Fostex f200a has advanced cone and extreme quality build it can produce massive bass FS is 30hz but again needs large cabinets. The SEAS X-1 again very high quality works well in very large monitor. I've used most available FR Lowther AER Festrex etc etc. I found the drivers I mentioned to be quite stellar performers if used properly. Many FR designs use small thin cabinets or filter away the perceived offenses. But if design is proper full ranges or wideband with tweeters exist that can do great service but you're not going to hear what's possible out of small cheap transducers in overly small cabinets. A full range driver loudspeaker needs as much if not more care in construction over conventional after all you're expecting a heck of alot out of 1 transducer.
The original poster's question is akin to asking for a unicycle without the pitfalls of a unicycle; like asking for a unicycle for the balance of a bicycle; a bicycle with the stability of a 4 wheeler.

The physics just does not allow a driver to span a full frequency range without a lot of distortion. When I listen to "the best" single driver speakers I am amazed that folks can live with that distortion on a regular basis just to get some "directness" of sound. The only way I can make sense of that is that the technical challenge of using only one driver and no crossover is as important to them as the sound. In other words, they see the endeavor as a "fun thing" and a challenge as much as a "musical thing".
Kiddman,
I prefer when ever possible the simple alternatives and can appreciate the "concept" of the single driver/ no Xover. However as you point out the reality is a different matter. I'll choose an easy load high efficiency speaker with more drivers with a simple 1st order Xover as the best compromise for my needs.
Charles,
Every speaker design is a based on compromises, and how you react to those compromises, what your room is like, and how loud you listen will determine whether or not you like the single driver sound. I'm setup in a small room with a near field arrangement. 80 db at the listening chair is very loud for me. Most of my listening is done at lower levels.

If I was in a bigger room and if I liked to crank it up and if I wanted to really get quality bass below 60hz, I would not be happy at all with my system. For me, these are compromises I can easily live with.

After having lived with single drivers, I'm always shocked when I place conventional speakers in my systems. My first thoughts are always gosh, the sound is so muddled and for lack of better words kind of phasey and echoey sounding. I hear things from speakers that I'd lived with prior to my single driver setups that I'd never noticed at all in hundreds of hours of listening. I suppose I'm reacting to crossovers, sound coming from multiple sources, voices being played at the same time by two different sources and maybe drivers operating out of phase with each other. Things I suppose my ear had become accustomed to in the past and my brain learned to ignore.

That said, with conventionals I can start to now turn it up and appreciate the bigger more visceral sound attainable with multiple driver setups. It's nice, but not a trade off I like to make. I've played with my single driver setup in a larger room, and then all of the sudden, I can start to hear the flaws and limitations as volume requirements are now completely different.

Live music is big, impactful and can be full of low frequency energy. It also has a speed and a presence; an immediacy. For some reason, it is that speed and directness that I react to, and I get it with single drivers more than multiples. Like I said though, I think it works for me because of my room size and listening levels and I can completely understand how it's not a trade off that others can't appreciate.