Since my sabbatical

For family reasons - I have been away from audiophile interests for over 15 years. I now have the ability to again restart.

My last real reference for published reviews / opinions that my hands on experiences matched was The Audio Critic (a long time ago). I have a stack of previously SOTA components that need professional restoration as well.

My current attempts at re-entry into reading Audiophile-ism related pubs has left me flabbergasted and confused.

Am I in the right Forum to start a dialog on connecting my real world experiences with the market pubs / beliefs / etc. now?

Questions abound!

PWK maven

128x128pwkmaven2
I am using a retro mod Hafler DH500 from Musical Concepts and a similar moded Apt Holman from Tom Holman and Ed at Audiographic.
Speakers are VMPS IIa/R Limited Editions.

Q#1: Do I refurbish an old California Audio Labs Icon MK II CD player or simply buy a new unit? If restore the Cal Audio - by whom? If the new route, which one and why?

PWKmaven
What is the cost to refurbish the CAL Icon?   For those monies, what could you get?   After the refurbish, will it have a new laser and last for a long time?  

I had a CAL DX2 a few years ago that I really liked and also have an Oppo DV970.  It's cheap, sounds very good, and Oppos don't seem to break down.     
Is this posting in the wrong category? Very limited responses so far (1). Maybe my ramblings need some coherence.

Thanks Lou for bring things into a clearer view regarding investment and return. You are correct, sir.

Others out there please give me a hand with what I see today as an assemblage of opinion disconnected from years of previous research / observations. Costs are obscenely high for equipment and what is 'heard' not in alignment with what I have learned to date (albeit w/ a 15 year gap).

Help me get back up to speed or at least understand.

PWKmaven2

I can't believe it's a sound investment to put any money into the CAL, because the transport will give out sooner rather than later, and then it will be unusable.  Better to invest in something new(er).

So general advice w.r.t. that and other components: start new thread(s) posing specific questions in new terms.  E.g. looking for new or used CD player between $X and $Y. OR: recommendations for someone to refurbish my amplifier manufactured by ABC.