SIMPLY AMAZING: Coda Technologies 07x Preamplifier

I have in-house Coda Technologies 07x preamplifier, which is the latest iteration of their '0' series linestages.  Very briefly, over the last seven years I have had over five solid state preamplifiers, price range was between 4K to 20K, in for auditioning in my system.  They were quite good, but lacked what my tube based linestages had to offer.  The solid state pieces were wickedly transparent, micro-detailed, tight accurate bass extension, and had great overall dynamics.  However, they lacked the organic timbres/tonality, 3D imaging, and the ability to create a sense of space between the players that my tube based preamplifiers produced in my system. 

So, I was concerned that based on my personal preferences that the Coda 07x might not be my "sonic cup of tea".  Boy was I wrong!  Besides, the superlative build quality, starting with the double-sided gold-plated circuit boards, and the sane prices Coda charges compared to other much more insanely priced gear, the 07x is priced at $6'500, this preamplifier has patiently shocked me regarding it might be the best synthesis between what solid state offers (transparency-clarity/low frequency extension-control/micro-details/speed-dynamics) and the best of what tubes have to offer (pristine timbres-tonality-color/holographic imaging/three-dimensional sound-staging with a sense of air around the individual instruments).

Coda always, at least in the America "flies under the radar" compared to other US manufacturers, but based on performance, build quality, and  smart evolved engineering they offer cutting edge equipment at reasonable prices that deserve to be heard by more music lovers. I'll get into all the little details in my review on the performance of the 07x, but for right now if you are thinking about purchasing a solid state linestage, consider giving Doug Dale a call to hear this very special piece.
teajay
Hey Al,

Thanks for your kind words regrading the information I share on these threads.  You are extremely knowledgeable and have always enriched the forums here with your posts and comments.

I'll inform Doug Dale regarding the db gain number on the spec sheet.  One of the great features of the 07x is that you can change the output gain to match the amplifier and to get to the 'sweet spot" on the volume control.  I do know, based on a conversation with Doug, this excellent feature is not mentioned in the manual.
Teajay,

Thank you for your initial observations of the Coda 07x preamp. I have owned one for about six months and have had it in a system for several months. I agree that it is wonderful, I can not fault it, I also own two Pass preamps a XP-30 and a XP-22, I used the 07x and the XP-30 with Pass XA160.8 monoblocks and found very little difference in fact in the time it took to go between the two I found it hard to quantify any difference.

I have two Coda S100 amps (100w class A) one with the Pass XP-22, the other with Coda 07x.. All three of those systems sound wonderful, I could not be happier.

I am not able to speak audio speak like many here as I don't have any audio friends and we have no real audio shops in my area for me to hang out at and talk audio. I really enjoy music both live and recorded and have been in the hobby since the later 1960's,

I got in for my love of music but over the years became an equipment junkie, but now I am back enjoying the music and enjoying it as much as when I started.

Teajay I would like to clarify your last comment, it is easy to set the gain for each of your inputs such that when you switch between them they will be at the same volume or any difference you choose, a great feature.

The Coda Csib integrated amp has many features, one I like is there is the subwoofer output that can be adjusted with the volume control, so no need to adjust the sub volume on the sub.  

Hey robertrs,

Thanks for sharing your experience withe the Coda 07x preamplifier.  It's interesting that in your systems that you found very little difference between the Coda 07x and the Pass Labs XP-30 three box preamplifier.  What a great compliment to the 07x, which costs $11,500 less then the XP-30.

I had the Xp-30 in-house and found it to be dramatically transparent, detailed, and dynamic, indeed.  However compared to the 07x, which has all of the virtues mentioned regarding the Pass Labs preamp, it did not have the organic timbres/colors of instruments at the same level and individual instruments/images were not quite as 3D or holographic in the sound stage.

I still have more testing to do, in other systems and pieces of gear for the review I'll be writing, to figure out if what I'm hearing is because of my upstream gear, cables, amplifiers, regarding the beautiful timbres and colors, along with tube like imaging/space is being supplied by my digital front end or a synergy with my amplifiers or both.

Robertrs, would you be kind enough to share what is your digital front end in your systems, and what type of cables do you run in these systems.

Teajay,

I recall that you have a Cod No.8 amp as well as a number of other excellent amplifiers.  Did you notice any synergy between the No.8 and the 07X preamp or did the preamp interface equally well with your other amplifiers.  Also, have you noticed any particular interactions with different interconnects.

Great questions soundhound,

The Coda No. 8 is not in-house at the present time.  I'll be getting it back to run that experiment in the next few weeks.  I'm also waiting for Coda's new more upscale single chassis amplifier for review, so it to will be matched with the 07x preamp. I'll bet both Coda pieces will be great together.

I run Black Cat Coppertone wires throughout my system.  However, I'm beta testing some silver IC's & speaker wires for a company that are quite good.  I hear the difference between the wires when I insert them into the chain.  So, the system, using the 07x, is very sensitive to the changes made in the wires.