Similarities and Differences-VAC 200IQ versus Music Reference RM-200

I've been reading years of forums but never saw a comparison between VAC 200IQ (or predecessor 200Phi with no continuous bias) and the Music Reference RM-200.  Both are 100 watt, Class A/B amps using KT88 pairs, have multiple low impedance taps and highest quality transformers.   The RM uses solid state input versus VAC's 6SN7s.  It is well known that the RM tubes last 5 times longer than typical KT88s (10,000 hours) versus ARC amps (2,000 hours-I know, my former and my friends amps).  I don't know how many hours a VAC output tube typically lasts.

Does anyone understand the design differences?   Are they more similar or different.  How significant are their differences?  (disregarding the continuous bias feature of the IQ model).

Has anyone compared these two amps?  
fleschler
I owned the VAC Phi 200 (not IQ).  Bass was exceptional, but I moved on as it lacked finesse, transparency, decay and air.  Excellent build quality, but I expected better sound quality from a VAC amp.  It did seem to be harder on tubes than other tube amps I've owned.  I preferred the VAC supplied Penta's, but they are the ones that failed.  Switched to Gold Lion and they held up well, but were a step down from the Penta's from a sound quality perspective.  I like Gold Lion KT88's in other tube amps, but for whatever reason, I did not care for them in the Phi 200.

While I've not owned the RM200 and I do have a Music Reference RM9 MK2.  It's the second best sounding tube amp I've owned, second only to a 5 times more expensive VAC Renaissance 70/70 Signature with KR 300B's and vintage VT231 driver/splitter tubes.  The jRM9 MK2 is a mid to late 1990's vintage amp I had refreshed by Roger Mojeski several years before his premature passing.  It's a great amp and can run on a variety of power tubes (EL34, KT88, 6550, KT90...).   I would not hesitate to own the RM200 based upon my excellent experience with the RM9 MK2. 

Other amps to consider... McIntosh MC275MKV, Quicksilver V4 mono's and Manley Snappers.
Thank you very much for your insight. I would not consider the MC275 as I’ve heard four iterations including the anniversary and 5 find them boring and uninvolving. Despite really liking the McIntosh MC225 and MC240, I prefer more power, 70+ watts/channel. The Manley and Quicksilver look impressive and the Manley advertises as being lush without being "tubey." I have not heard either.

I’ve never read a review that found the VAC 200 described as lacking in those four factors. That doesn’t sound like I want a Phi and probably not an IQ either. Friends of mine (internet) have highly recommended all the RM amps with the RM200 filling the bill. I used to purchase tubes from RAM labs and was rather shocked when RM passed prematurely.
The earlier VAC amps got great reviews too. I’ve heard the VAC 450IQs several times and they were outstanding but in $1+ million systems (Von Schweikert speakers).

If output tubes make a big difference, I read on a forum that someone preferred the inexpensive JJ KT88s for the VAC 200IQ. Another choice is the expensive Sophia KT88s.  

I use Raytheon VT231 tubes as cathode followers in my current amps (they sound great 120 watts but are very temperamental when a tube blows/every 3 to 5 years, or the bias drifts (summer to winter its 130mv down to 80mv, some drift).  That's why I'm looking for a solid replacement.   15 years ago, I purchased the EAR 890.  Nice amp but never sounded correct as it cannot handle either 6-12" woofers and/or low impedances 2.8 ohm bass (Legacy Focus).  Does great on the easier to drive, 6-10" woofer Legacy Signature IIIs.
I rescind my statements about the EAR 890.   I purchased the Synergistic Research MiG SX, placed the amp on 1" thick granite slab and added 3 ECTs to the transformers, 1 to the power plug and a GTC to the fuse.   It now plays the Focuses perfectly.   Wow, never would have believed it.  Previously, mushy sound without good dynamics.  Now, neutral sounding with deep punchy bass, clear smooth highs and luscious mids.