Simaudio P8/W8 or Latest 740P/860A????

Want to upgrade my Simaudio 700I to separates. I can go for NOS Simaudio P8/W8 or their newest 740P/860A for the same price. The P8/W8 has now been discontinued but may be a better value and provide better listening than the second combination. I have not had a chance to audition the P8/W8 as the dealer with them is 1000 miles away. I own Dynaudio C2S' and would like to get the best bang for the buck. Could anyone that has owned either of the above please give me their impression and opinions. I cannot afford to jump to their 850P. My main source is their 750D.
shpritz

Showing 2 responses by ddafoe

I'm using Shunyata Ztron Anaconda XLR ICs and speaker cable.
I find them to be incredibly neutral and resolving.   

Cheers

I had a  Simaudio 600I with Revel F52s and loved it.

I then upgraded speakers to Magico S1s and found I wanted a bit more power and decided to go with separates.    Since the Magico's are very neutral and the Simaudio sound is very detailed and a little forward (but certainly not bright) I went with a Pass Labs X250.8 amplifier to get a bit of warmth.   After trying the amplifier with a Pass preamp (X10) and Hegel (P20) I tried a SimAudio 740P and it and the X250.8 sounded amazing together!   Definitely a BIG step up on my 600I and the other two separate combinations I had tried. 

I've never heard the W8 or 860A so can't compare them with the Pass amplifier, but keep that combo in mind.

If your speakers slant towards warmth or a darker sound the all Simaudio combo might be best; but if not, the Pass (music has a little warmth, great timber, and soundstage) along with the the 740P (by far the most neutral preamp I've had in my system along with throwing an amazing soundstage and adding a feel of depth/3-Dimensionality to the music)  is killer.    

Good Luck!