Simaudio MOON LP5.3 RS or 300LP?

This isn't really a question I'm asking - more a point of interest.

I just purchased the 5.3RS and in the manual there's some blurb about the RS designation means a higher grade of PCB and capacitors are used.

To my surprise, on reading the review of the 310LP the exact same phrase was used - suggesting that was why the new model was introduced.

Pics of the internals also look identical

Now I'm not saying they are the same electronics, but is seems it might be possible?

Now the kicker - the MSRP for the 310LP is around $1800
The 5.3RS ? - I got it for $1350 !

Just in case fellow members are looking in that direction :-)

It sounds real nice as well, especially with a quality power cord - probably don't need the seperate power supply that they promote.

Back to the tunes :-)
williewonka

Showing 1 response by moonglum

I'm sure Simaudio will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the RS designation was originally applied to amps made to European standard i.e. using unleaded solder. When it was first used, they were still using "tin/lead" in the U.S.

There's no fundamental superiority in using unleaded compliant comps, just increased risk of dendrites and consequent short circuits if the amp is improperly manufactured.
I've been using an I-7RS for 7 years and it has performed admirably and reliably. (Hope that wasn't the kiss of death :)