Simaudio 680D?

So, I’m hoping I can leverage some of the collective experience of the forum.  I’ve been improving all elements of my system and the DAC is next.  The problem I have is similar to what so many others have experienced - inability to properly audition a unit.  Units under consideration are:
Simaudio 680D
Auralic Vega G2.1
Bricasti M3
Holo Audio May KTE (based on reviews and some ‘gon forum dialogue)
Denafrips Terminator (per recommendation from forum participants I’ve come to really respect)
Marantz SA-10 (a SACD player w/ digital in)

Simaudio: My local SimAudio dealer will only get a unit in if “I’m ready to buy it”. By that, he means I purchase it and can return it if it doesn’t meet my expectations.  I do understand the policy because he has to purchase it from Simaudio - so he has costs up front.  He’d be able to return it to Simaudio, but yeah - it’s a hassle. He doesn’t need tire kickers. I heard the Simaudio 390 (preamp/DAC) at the dealer and thought it nice for the price. The 680D, being a dedicated DAC w/ no preamp, should be much better as it’s nearly 2x the price. It also has the MIND streaming module which would allow me, theoretically, to sell my streamer.  However, the MIND function of the 390 fell way, way short of my unit so I’m skeptical on that element.  I assume it’s better in the 680D but this is an important function that many overlook. I’d love to hear from some users on their experiences and impressions of this unit.

Bricasti: same deal, different dealer -  he’ll happily sell me one which I can return within about a week if I don’t like it.  His store is about 2 hours away.  It, too, can be used as a server/renderer but it doesn’t have a good software solution so I’d have to go back to Roon.  And, again, I’m unsure of the quality of the streaming function.

Marantz SA-10: about 2 hours away and they’ll let me take a unit from the store for home audition. I’ve purchased a good amount of gear from them in the past so I’m a trusted customer.  This is primarily a disk player (which would be nice as a I have a number of SACDs I can’t currently play).  I really prefer streaming and have a nice enough unit that streaming is as good as playing a silver disk.  I’m sure the SA-10 is a great disk player, but I’m unsure it’s competitive with the other as an outboard DAC.  At least i can try it, even if I can’t compare it to other units.

Denafrips and Holo Audio: both are R2R topologies with terrific reviews and lots of forum support.  But, there are no dealers in the U.S that I’m aware of. So auditions are impossible and I’m unsure of return policies.

Auralic Vega G2.1:  can’t find a dealer who has one. I have the Aries G2 streamer/server which I think is very good and the two together are supposed to be excellent.

So, I feel stuck.  I’ll certainly audition the Marantz but won’t be able to compare it to any of the others. So, memory will have to suffice.  

I’d welcome any input/suggestions the forum can offer.

Related gear:
Speakers: KEF Reference 3s
T+A PA 3000 HV integrated amp
Auralic Aries G2 streamer
AQ Niagara 5000 conditioner

Budget: up to $10k but lower is better, of course....
mgrif104
Hi Deeppurpleman: I stream Qobuz primarily. I’ve also had Tidal but Qobuz sounds a bit better and the depth of their catalogs are converging.  I also became annoyed with Tidal’s hip hop centric recommendations.

I also have a NAS so I use the Aries G2 to access and serve those files.
Sorry I can't help you very much. Streaming quality differences between hardware isn't something you see reviewed much. 
Hi,

I have a Moon 280D with MIND, from what I know it is the same card for all the DACs.

Since I bought the DAC, Simaudio has done some Firmware updates for both DAC and MIND card that have improved massively the SQ, stage and 3D imaging.

Out of the box, all the devices you have listed will sound great, but when you get to the level of the 680D + MIND you will also need to look in to how you are feeding the information to your MIND.

I only use LAN cables to send music to my DAC and I currently use LAN cables that are CAT 8 with silver and copper conductors. I also use a Silent Ângel Bonn8 switch and Roon has a my audio player. You don’t need to go has crazy Has in my system, but do understand that in streaming there is room for improvements.

On my system, I’ve also tested some Wireworld LAN cables and the Red one is really good. if you can, ask to audition the 680D with different LAN cables, that will help you understand what you can do with the system.

Hop it helps

Fil  

Don’t know if you are familiar with Mojo Audio , but if not you may want to research to see if it fits your needs. Mojo Audio EVO DAC (three versions ) is built in New Mexico - Ben offers 45 day no risk

https://www.mojo-audio.com/digital-to-analog-converters/
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mojo-audio-mystique-evo?highlight=mojo%2Baudio