Simaudio 340 i hard to beat for the $$

I have a bit of a dilemma in that I’m having a hard time moving from my Simaudio 340 i. I absolutely love this integrated except I wish the sound stage was wider. I was considering getting a 600 i but after extensive research people are saying 600 is not like the 340 and I see a lot of people sell the 600. Owners of the 600 I told me they were disappointed in the unit. For some reason the 340 i is unique to the Simaudio line up. I was interested in the Luxman 550 MK2 but after speaking to a Sonus Faber dealer with good knowledge of the brand he believes that class A will not have the dynamics required to drive my speakers as Sonus Faber are known to be power hungry. He suggested staying with class A/B. I had a class A tube amplifier and yes, I agree it was lacking the punch of the 340. My problem is my budget in the used market for a solution is $5-6000. Current setup is:

Sonus Faber Minima Amator 2

Lumin U1 mini with SBooster

Denafrips Venus 2

Simaudio 340 i

I’m looking for something laid back, detailed, smooth and punchy like the 340 but with a bigger soundstage. Does it even exist at 5/6 k (CAN BTW)

I’ve had Hegel 390/360 and it didn’t impress me.

Accuphase E370? Luxman 507?

128x128dman1974

If you already have a “good” soundstage, then the issue may not be the amp. Play around with speaker placement and angle. However, if you really want to try something new, the Coda CSIB is worth a look. It can definitely power your speakers and will deliver a great soundstage. 

I have the Moon 700i, you find them often at around 6k USD. Best amp I ever had, including pre+power combo from Allnic, Air Tight and Leben I used to have in the past. 

I don’t know the 340i, but the 600i and 700i are among the very best there is in terms of imaging and soundstage, excluding uber-high end gear. I had the Gryphon Diablo 300 and the Vitus RI-101 at my place on loan. The Vitus is clearly sounding a notch below the Gryphon and Moon. The Gryphon is in the same league and has a lot of strengths, but for the classical music I listen to mainly, the Moon’s lifelike transparency and delicacy just made the choice for me. But the Gryphon is a terrific amp, have a listen to it. 

Also, the reason why you can see the 600i v2 in the aftermarket is because Simaudio offers a full-money back policy if you upgrade within the first 12 months after purchase and 75% within 2 years. The previous owner of my amp went up the ladder to the pre+power solution from Moon. If you’re looking for their top separates, you will see much less second hand gear, because people stick to it.

my two cents

@winoguy17 + 1.  I had the 340i with many SF speakers, Olympica 1, Nova4 and Maxima Amators and no problems, sounded fantastic. Think the OP has the UG Itch. So glad to be where I am today. Hope you find it one day OP. 

It looks to me you are setting up to simply swap sideways. This usually means disappointment, swapping one set of strengths and weaknesses for another.

I have am very familiar with Sonus Faber Speakers and at least similar models of SIM and Luxman. Luxman will have good imaging… but it is not very musical.

If you want to plunk down your new box and think, “wow, now that sooo much sounds better in all respects”. I recommend saving up and having a good look at the Pass INT60. This is a huge step up from the SIM or Luxman. It has better midrange bloom and it has amazing rhythm and pace (musicality).. also there will be no question of power. This unit has real drive.

‘’I would take your time and save up, and buy at the next level up. Most major high end audio companies have a unit in the $10K range, and these are in a whole different category of sound.

Post removed